Sony, its over you just suck

AMMAY

no problem man. id rather than even $20 for a relay then to have to buy a new head unit. or u could just rig a power wire up, put a toggle on it, then run ur leads off of that???

I picked up a relay today. $4.95 and an extra $4.95 for the harness. $10 total. Not bad  :-

I'm installing it tomorrow morning.

good choice man good choice :^
duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what would you notice if you have a relay. I still have my remote turn on on two amps, but thats only cause I dont know how relays work  :-[

In my opinion, turning on 2 amps is the absolute limit for a H/U. Anything more and I seriously recommend a relay.

Here's how it works:

A relay is like a switch between 2 circuits. The remote wire from your H/U connects to the relay (and only the relay). So you have your H/U turning on only one thing. The relay, in turn, is grounded and has another 12V feed from the battery. Then it has its OWN remote, which is capable of providing more current to turn on the amps (you could turn on like 10 amplifiers using a relay, easy).

So you are basically turning on your amps straight from the battery. But it only happens when you turn on your H/U, because the remote turns on the relay and the relay "turns on" the second (higher current) circuit.

what would you notice if you have a relay. I still have my remote turn on on two amps, but thats only cause I dont know how relays work  :-[

In my opinion, turning on 2 amps is the absolute limit for a H/U. Anything more and I seriously recommend a relay.

Here's how it works:

A relay is like a switch between 2 circuits. The remote wire from your H/U connects to the relay (and only the relay). So you have your H/U turning on only one thing. The relay, in turn, is grounded and has another 12V feed from the battery. Then it has its OWN remote, which is capable of providing more current to turn on the amps (you could turn on like 10 amplifiers using a relay, easy).

So you are basically turning on your amps straight from the battery. But it only happens when you turn on your H/U, because the remote turns on the relay and the relay "turns on" the second (higher current) circuit.

very well put and all true! ;) :^
duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

Well I installed my relay yesterday. And lemme tell ya. the lights on my clarion EQ and amps used to dim a lot but now not at all. What was happening was that my H/U was struggling to keep everything on but now the relay provides more current.

Plus, I like that lil' 'tick' noise it makes when it comes on  :^

so i have multiple splices with the one remote wire i have from my cd player also. so where can i pick up a nice relay to control two amps and two tv monitors in my truck?

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

so i have multiple splices with the one remote wire i have from my cd player also. so where can i pick up a nice relay to control two amps and two tv monitors in my truck?

nope but theyre like $4.88 at the parts store here. it would be cheaper for u to pick one up then for me to ship one out newayz ;)

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

A reputable electronics parts store should have it. Make sure you look for one with a "front-end" rating lower than 300 milliamps and a back-end rating of several amps....Meaning....one which needs a smalll amount of current to switch on, but can provide ENOUGH current to your amps once it's on.  :^

Archived