Sundown Audio

A few pre-production changes are going on...

1) I am changing these to 8-layer flat aluminum coils from the currently tested 4-layer round aluminum coils.

2) This will raise the cost to about the same as the Z v.2 price now, so they won't be cheaper now -- these coils are about 2.5x more expensive than the 4-layer round units.

Good news is they provide enough benefit that I decided to go this route on the driver for the stock coil :) I am sure nobody will be let down by the added benefit.

Otherwise the pictured units with chrome motors are what will be produced.

Good move Jake!! :drinks: the 8-layer coils are beastly

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - Deep Orange

Build log - Blowthrought with 4 18's http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/122600-4-18s-in-a-dodge-ram-team-sundown-russia/

Sundown Audio SAX125.2 - Sundown PA 10"

Shok-wiring & RCA's

XS Power D6500

Mechman 320A

Sundown Audio Russia

http://sundownaudio....dex.php?/index

http://www.drive2.ru...ram/ram/skillz/ - more about my truck

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gskillz81

A few pre-production changes are going on...

1) I am changing these to 8-layer flat aluminum coils from the currently tested 4-layer round aluminum coils.

2) This will raise the cost to about the same as the Z v.2 price now, so they won't be cheaper now -- these coils are about 2.5x more expensive than the 4-layer round units.

Good news is they provide enough benefit that I decided to go this route on the driver for the stock coil :) I am sure nobody will be let down by the added benefit.

Otherwise the pictured units with chrome motors are what will be produced.

I thought the original plan was to use the High Temp USA made copper coils? Other than pure power handling, what are the other reasons are you changing to 8 layer coils? How much increased power handling are you predicting?

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

I thought the original plan was to use the High Temp USA made copper coils? Other than pure power handling, what are the other reasons are you changing to 8 layer coils? How much increased power handling are you predicting?

Yes, the original coils were also USA made but they were 4-layer round aluminum.

I expect around 20% increase in thermal power handling + a gain in motor force factor from more wire density in the gap. So both louder and more power handling.

The flat wire also allows both the D1 and D2 to have the same winding width (coil length) -- round wire is dictated simply by diameter so the D1 had to be a bit shorter to fit the gap. With flat you can change the flattening ratio and both the D1 and D2 can be the same WW and OD. Very handy :)

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

• 3 months later...

I built a Z v.3 12" with production coil -- with about 5 minutes of break-in :

RE: 4.01 ohms (D2 coil)

FS: 45.68 Hz

Qes: 0.4995

Qms: 4.3798

Qts: 0.4484

Le: 5.54 mH

Vas: 13.85 L

BL: 24.50

Mms: 260g

Cms: 46.64 uM/N

Sens: 85.97 dB 1w/1m

BL^2/RE: 150

Specs are not too far off the original NS v.1 model... basically a very well rounded daily sub with great SPL potential to boot. The linear x-max by 70% BL is 23.5mm one-way as well.

I am very satisfied with this result... the coil is now an 8-layer flat coil with 60mm WW (20% longer than NS v.1) made in the USA and sent to our factory in China. So what we have here is a driver that will out-perform the NS v.1 thermally, be close to it in SPL, and cost less money :) I can't complain !

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

I am finalizing some of the tooling for the spacers and also a few more minor surround and cone details then we can start running some of these for production... it is looking like 18s and maybe 15s as well will come first.

Once my new cone body / surround samples arrive -- if they are fully approved -- we can begin on these!

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

Isn't the Z series supposed to sit more on the SQ side for SQL subwoofers?

If that is still its goal (thinking about the original Z series) arent' the Fs a little bit on the high side?

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Damn Jacob you never cease to amaze me at the tech breakthroughs you make man... Keep up the great work bro :good:

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

If that is still its goal (thinking about the original Z series) arent' the Fs a little bit on the high side?

I am still making these pretty good for SQ as far as THD -- these include a shorting ring and high linear x-max =)

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

I am still making these pretty good for SQ as far as THD -- these include a shorting ring and high linear x-max =)

Alright.

Thanks

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png