Sundown Audio

I have started development on our Z v.3 woofer -- it is designed to increase thermal capacity a bit from the v.2 and also to be available for a lower price. We are outsourcing the build to our build house that we use for the SA series... BUT we are shipping USA made coils from Precision Econowind over to be used in them :)

The advantage of USA coils ? The Z v.3 passed a 1500-watt 60 Hz sine wave test for 5 minutes with a Chinese coil... but they only take 300 degrees! Well... American coils take 500 degrees! So think that over a bit :) We are talking 66% higher temperature handling and the speaker already passed the thermal test with the lower temperature coil.

Trade offs vs. the v.2 model ? Motor force factor is not quite as high as the Z v.2 model (wider gap, different coil, etc) -- but I worked hard to optimize the suspension to work as best as possible with the given motor power.

ETA is May to June of 2011 -- but I can't help but share some early information!

T/S specs of the D1 unit 15 inch (fairly fresh specs) :

FS: 36.8 Hz

Re: 2.19 ohms

Qes: 0.57

Qms: 5.44

Qts: 0.52

Le: 2.54 mH

Vas: 48.9 L

BL: 17.23 NA

Cms: 55 uM/N

Mms: 334 grams

Sens: 88.15 dB

BL^2/RE: 135.5

HU Level / Power / SPL

-10 / 110 / 140.0

-9 / 140 / 140.9

-6 / 330 / 143.6

-3 / 580 / 146.3

0 / 1460 / 149.3

1 / 1810 / 150.1

2 / 2210 / 150.7

3 / 2390 / 151.1

----------

I tested it against a competing product that is quite popular in SPL -- which by the spec many would imagine to perform better... the specs of the other driver as follows :

FS: 53.32 Hz

Re: 2.10 ohms

Qes: 0.66

Qms: 8.20

Qts: 0.61

Le: 2.02 mH

Vas: 19.25 L

BL: 20.75 NA

Cms: 21 uM/N

Mms: 407 grams

Sens: 88.27 dB

BL^2/RE: 205.0

Much higher motor force but very very hard suspension and more MMS.

Results from competing product :

HU Level / Power / SPL

-10 / 110 / 139.3

-9 / 140 / 140.5

-6 / 300 / 143.4

-3 / 620 / 146.2

0 / 1240 / 148.8

1 / 1520 / 149.5

2 / 1840 / 150.2

3 / 2120 / 150.6

4 / 2330 / 151.0

No... I won't tell you what product this is.

This product would probably excel for a very high frequency burp application, though.

---

Notice that I had to go +1 more on the HU for the same power on the competing product ? The Z v.3 features a shorting ring so has less impedance rise than a woofer that does not.

SPL performance is quite similar to the competing product despite the lower motor force factor... and the Z v.3 has ALOT more suspension travel so would pull ahead and very low frequencies when pushed to high stroke.

In any event... I am quite pleased with it. I still have a good bit of work to do... as they are ~8 months out but I figured I'd share some early information.

Until then the Z v.2 will remain available... the v.2 is actually a bit louder than the v.3 but does cost more than the v.3 will since we build the v.2 in house currently.

A few photos :

CIMG4253.JPG

CIMG4254.JPG

It does feature doubled up flat, tied down tinsel leads stock.

-----

The Z v.3 features the same proven cooling design of the SA series :)

Spider is a high quality 4-layer high nomex content unit :

CIMG4255.JPG

Cone / dust cap are like the SA-15 :

CIMG4257.JPG

------

We will keep building the NS v.2 here -- but anything smaller will be built alongside the SA series. We can't keep up with all the orders anymore building two lines :) Both a good and bad thing!

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New prototypes are done along with magnet boot, triple joint ring, and frame spacer toolings -- I should have them in a month or so for testing :

boot.JPG

* Magnet boot similar to SA line... I am trying out a chrome finish on these prototypes. It smooths out some of the machining marks so gives a more consistent finish on the final product than the black does.

10inch.JPG

* Z v.3 10" Model

12inch.JPG

* Z v.3 12" Model

15inch.JPG

* Z v.3 15" Model

18inch.JPG

* Z v.3 18" Model -- Yes, it uses the bigger spider landing.

These were built with American coils as well -- so will reflect the final product.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

oh shat!  :peepwall: Sundown WTMFW!!!

Funny thing is, about a month ago I had this big discussion on the local forums with people wanting chrome on their motors... totally played it off since I don't really care if my motors are painted, or machined, or chrome.....and here we are - and these look damn good 

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - Deep Orange

Build log - Blowthrought with 4 18's http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/122600-4-18s-in-a-dodge-ram-team-sundown-russia/

Sundown Audio SAX125.2 - Sundown PA 10"

Shok-wiring & RCA's

XS Power D6500

Mechman 320A

Sundown Audio Russia

http://sundownaudio....dex.php?/index

http://www.drive2.ru...ram/ram/skillz/ - more about my truck

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gskillz81

It would be a bit much to have two different finishes as we'll already have a few 100 of each size stocked. I am sure Dave (PSI) can custom paint one for people later on during a re-cone, though.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

This is what I don't like about the black paint finish :

Rings.jpg

It's not noticeable on the SA line with relatively small back and top plates -- but when you get plates this thick it shows up.

The black paint also sometimes gets messed up a bit in shipping as it occasionally is not 100% cured and the plastic packing bag will mess up the finish by leaving crinkle marks on it.

Minor, yes, but it bugs me... especially on a larger and more expensive driver like this.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg