Mechman Alternators

Mechman Alt with adjustable voltage

Ok, so i just ordered my 250 amp alt about 2 weeks ago from Mechman which so far i love the company for how fast they get back to your questions no matter how dumb or smart they are. But the model i was supposed to be getting will have built in adjustable voltage but when i searched on here in the mechman forum i read that people have to get a $40 adapter to make the voltage adjustable. will i have to do this for my 1998 Oldsmobile 88 which i ordered the alt for? And by the way it is a CS144 model alternator.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

No, my buddy has the same alt for his Cadillac. He's crazy suprised about the output of this alt on his 3k watt setup. His is charging at about 15v and only drops to about 13.8v, at full tilt. The alt impressed me also, actually the reason I sold my DC's and went with Mechman

50+ on low music, daily.

^^^^^

Pretty sure that has nothing to do about what this guy is asking...

THis is the alt I'm talking about and the one I'm sure the OP is asking about..

IMG_0937.jpg

Which is the one my buddy has, it has a adjustable voltage regulator built in. ( small dial on the small red box, not able to see in pic )

50+ on low music, daily.

wowzers!

oh and, all the wiring harness is for the external regulator alternators is 3 wires in a wire loom, that most the time you have to extend.

I had the mechman exterternally regulated alt, but it went up in smoke.. Was told by Matt from mechman the reason it did was because the 15.5volt charging was too demanding on the alternator.

Oh well DC Power took excellent care of me, got me charging at 15.6 without some external regulator.

Just proper wiring of an alt to your current electrical system is needed, and if you got something loose here or there your going to suffer no matter what brand.

All my dc powers kept me above 14volts with 6krms on a single 270sp, and these triplets I got are just pure sexiness!

Edit:

Here is your $40 wiring harness in the black wire loom, as well as the same Chinese built transpo external regulator that dont seem to last long for many people, but then others are fine. :/

Ill sell you the black cable for $15.00 shipped USPS Flat Rate.

IMAGE_200.jpg

You know, I'm tired reading stuff like this. There are plenty of other forums out there that condone mud slinging and product bashing. SMD IS NOT ONE OF THEM! Your reply is laden with it.

Guess what? There is no product offered by any company in any category that is the best fit for every need. Many companies, including those that are not our partners, make fine products. I have been in car audio since 1986 and I can tell you with great certainty that 95% of the product failures I have seen over the years have come as a direct result of incorrect installation or application.

Now, who's interested in helping the OP?

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

You know, I'm tired reading stuff like this. There are plenty of other forums out there that condone mud slinging and product bashing. SMD IS NOT ONE OF THEM! Your reply is laden with it.

Guess what? There is no product offered by any company in any category that is the best fit for every need. Many companies, including those that are not our partners, make fine products. I have been in car audio since 1986 and I can tell you with great certainty that 95% of the product failures I have seen over the years have come as a direct result of incorrect installation or application.

Now, who's interested in helping the OP?

LOL...

Cool story bro...

But now lets see a SMD Member bashing not only 1 of his competitors, but 2 of his competiting alt companies! LOL

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/84132-generator-fuse-keeps-blowing-need-help-badly/page__p__1189585__fromsearch__1entry1189585

Ah yes- cheap-ass DB electrical junk strikes again....

and

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/86745-best-alternator-solution-for-acurahonda/page__p__1189582__fromsearch__1entry1189582

Power bastards just sells a "universal" CS130D (small case GM) alternator for every application. They come no where near bolting on to your vehicle without making your own brackets, spacers, and adapter harnesses. (it amazes me they are still in business) Not to mention the fact, that a 220 amp CS130D is going have really crappy output at idle, if it even makes 220 amps peak. (and I bet it doesn't)

We CNC machine all of our units specifically for each application, and include any adapter harness or brackets if necessary. Upgrading to a physically larger alternator gets you more surface area for heat dissipation, and much better low RPM output.

So before you talking about a consumer spending money that had nothing but bad luck with a persons products, better check what the supplier is saying to potential alternator buyers to gain a step above another company by bashing.

oh but smd is not about bashing.... LOL

^^^^^

Pretty sure that has nothing to do about what this guy is asking...

THis is the alt I'm talking about and the one I'm sure the OP is asking about..

IMG_0937.jpg

Which is the one my buddy has, it has a adjustable voltage regulator built in. ( small dial on the small red box, not able to see in pic )

That alt is a regular self exciting alternator aka 1 wire hook up. (one wire means you just hook your charging wire up to it, it automatically detects the loan and turns itself on)

I had the same alternator, and was told if I needed more voltage the square plug of my external regulator could be plugged into it (never have tho, since his 1 wire units charge a little higher then his normal units that require the oem plug plugged in).

This is the same regulator in your alt.

200911152018_106.jpg

I remember Matt even claiming he wont use the internal adjustable regulators due to their failure rate being thru the roof. Maybe that has changed.

The only companies I recall using them is Mean Green, EA, and Ohio Generator use too.

PS: Snafu, Forgot in my other post. How can you say Im not helping when I offered to sell the OP needed parts for his alternator at a fraction of the cost! LOL

Hell, the whole entire external regulator and wiring harness is useless to me.. It just sits on my bedroom dresser, id sell the entire thing for 15.00 shipped.

LOL...

Cool story bro...

But now lets see a SMD Member bashing not only 1 of his competitors, but 2 of his competiting alt companies! LOL

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/84132-generator-fuse-keeps-blowing-need-help-badly/page__p__1189585__fromsearch__1entry1189585

and

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/86745-best-alternator-solution-for-acurahonda/page__p__1189582__fromsearch__1entry1189582

So before you talking about a consumer spending money that had nothing but bad luck with a persons products, better check what the supplier is saying to potential alternator buyers to gain a step above another company by bashing.

oh but smd is not about bashing.... LOL

I've heard of many Dc Power Reg's failing also. BUT that's not the case, what is the case is that EVERY alt company has flaws, but if the alt company offers awesome CS and the alt is fixed and returned in less than a week, then i call that a great company. I wouldn't call that above bashing. I returned my Db electrical 3 times before i went with Mechman it cost me over 100 in shipping and i got it bench tested, it was rated to do 105 idle, 220 max. My alt was lucky to do 100 max. People just have different tastes in car audio. One person might like DC power while another likes Mechman, while another likes EA, on and on.....

wowzers!

oh and, all the wiring harness is for the external regulator alternators is 3 wires in a wire loom, that most the time you have to extend.

I had the mechman exterternally regulated alt, but it went up in smoke.. Was told by Matt from mechman the reason it did was because the 15.5volt charging was too demanding on the alternator.

Oh well DC Power took excellent care of me, got me charging at 15.6 without some external regulator.

Just proper wiring of an alt to your current electrical system is needed, and if you got something loose here or there your going to suffer no matter what brand.

All my dc powers kept me above 14volts with 6krms on a single 270sp, and these triplets I got are just pure sexiness!

Edit:

Here is your $40 wiring harness in the black wire loom, as well as the same Chinese built transpo external regulator that dont seem to last long for many people, but then others are fine. :/

Ill sell you the black cable for $15.00 shipped USPS Flat Rate.

IMAGE_200.jpg

Awsome, thanks for your input, that HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT THE ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS.

Your picture has absolutely nothing to do with the harness that what we are talking about, so please don't but in unless you know what the hell you are talking about.

It's not surprising that there is nothing in your post about us bending over backwards to get you replacement units in time for your competition, or not charging you a dime for any of the repairs. Funny, one guy has a problem with multiple units in a row, and everyone else is happy. I wonder why that is?

Ok, so i just ordered my 250 amp alt about 2 weeks ago from Mechman which so far i love the company for how fast they get back to your questions no matter how dumb or smart they are. But the model i was supposed to be getting will have built in adjustable voltage but when i searched on here in the mechman forum i read that people have to get a $40 adapter to make the voltage adjustable. will i have to do this for my 1998 Oldsmobile 88 which i ordered the alt for? And by the way it is a CS144 model alternator.

Please disregard the picture of the blue external regulator, that is not the harness we are talking about, and will not work on your unit.

Your Oldsmobile uses a special rear housing that does not accept the anodized red adjustable internal regulator. I discussed with you that the voltage set point will be 14.7 volts, which is optimal for the 12 volt AGM batteries that you plan to use. If you absolutely feel it necessary to charge your 12 volt batteries at a higher than recommended voltage, I will send you the voltage adjustment module for FREE. It is simply a 8" long pigtail that plugs inline in between your vehicle's stock harness and the alternator itself.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1