Mechman Alternators

Alt. for an 88 chevy p/u 5.7

I have a very stout 270 amp 16 volt ES unit (charges at 18.5 volts) for $475 shipped. It has a simple single wire remote turn on, and is totally durable for daily abuse. It does 165 amps at idle, full output by 1800 rpm.

I don't have any dual brackets on the shelf for that truck, but I could probably fab you up a custom bracket/idler assymbly for about $500.

• 2 months later...

I have a very stout 270 amp 16 volt ES unit (charges at 18.5 volts) for $475 shipped. It has a simple single wire remote turn on, and is totally durable for daily abuse. It does 165 amps at idle, full output by 1800 rpm.

I don't have any dual brackets on the shelf for that truck, but I could probably fab you up a custom bracket/idler assymbly for about $500.

What if i were to use the 270 amp alt . with the 16volt es unit only.How would i go about charging my main 12volt battery(this will be a power cell also) and powering my trucks 12volt needs ? And would this bolt on directly where the factory one is ? Also I have seen some type of mods or step downs that can take the volts down to 12 from 16 ,not sure how they work or are wired though .do you have that avalibale? If so how much ? and how many do i need ? i can add an extra 16v power cell under the hood if needed ,i have lots of room .I have fuse links coming off my starter if you need to know that .this is my 1st 16v system ,thats why all the questions .My friend Rob Wolcott ( from Team North East Spl ,and DC Audio ) told me that i should buy from you ,he has tried a bunch of different alts.for his grand prix and said yours worked the best by far .So i am def. gonna go with you .i just dont wanna buy something and then later wished i went a different route.So any info / diagrams you can give me would be great . I will be looking at buying what i need within a month or so .Do you have this alt. in stock ? Or do you have to build it? Same with the step downs (if needed). What is the lead time either way . You can contact me at my e-mail ,which is [email protected] . Thanks for your time. Keith Mutka - Team 808

Member of Team 808

Member of Team North East Spl

dont mean to thread jack mabe your truck is like mine 91chevy do you have a place where a smog pump goes under the air cond if so you can mount the alt in that location thats what i did and get the biggest belt they got. plus you can use the stock belt tensioner hope this helps

We keep those units in stock, they are a direct bolt in for your truck.

If you only run one alt at 16 volts, you would need to run two 993 step-down boxes in parallel to charge your front 12 volt battery. We have those step-downs for $109 each.

It would be more efficient to just run a 12 volt alt for the truck, and a 16 volt alt for the subs.

Or better yet, just run the truck, subs and everything on 14 volt batteries. (16.5 volt charging voltage)