Second Skin Audio

12'' sub upgrade suggestions?!?

FI Q's are too powerful for my needs. Two FI SsD's will give me a solid 1600RMS, my amp gives 1550RMS, seems like a good fit. and I may get the upgraded cooling option so that if I ever upgrade my amp, the subs can take the additional power. DC lvl 3's are the second option, also at 800wRMS. I emailed DC for pricing (no dealers nearby) and waiting on that now. So it's either two FI SSD or two DC lvl3's. Votes? Also, should go 10's or 12's? Advantages of each in a small car?

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Never heard of this brand. Rather go with DC or Fi, they have too many good reviews/comments.

Again...the choices are two DC lvl3's or two SSD's. And 10" or 12". (Possible upgrade to the next model up of either one depending on what happens with my co-op jobs starting in January, etc.)

Also olds, how did you attach the baffle to the framing behind the rear seats, when you sealed off from the trunk? I assume you either drilled through the MDF and the car's metal, and put a few beast bolts, or you just used some meaty metal/wood screws with washers? thanx!!

Edited by BboyTaktix

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Never heard of this brand. Rather go with DC or Fi, they have too many good reviews/comments.

Again...the choices are two DC lvl3's or two SSD's. And 10" or 12". (Possible upgrade to the next model up of either one depending on what happens with my co-op jobs starting in January, etc.)

Also olds, how did you attach the baffle to the framing behind the rear seats, when you sealed off from the trunk? I assume you either drilled through the MDF and the car's metal, and put a few beast bolts, or you just used some meaty metal/wood screws with washers? thanx!!

TC Sounds is solid enough. Its all up to you and personal preference as to which sub you get. They'll all perform the way you'd like assuming you put them in the right box.

And the size depends upon how much space you have and are willing to give up. 12s will require more air space, 10s will need less air space.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

great, thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm going to measure the opening in my rear seats to see how much space I have, and the trunk as well to see exactly what would be the best (10's or 12's). There is not much space in the cabin, so I'm assuming two 10's or 12's sealed from the trunk would probably destroy in my car. 130-140dB would be more than enough for me. Last thing is I need an answer for how to connect the baffle to the metal framing behind the seats (between seats and trunk). I'm assuming some decent sized bolts and pre-drilling holes in the MDF would be the most solid way of doing it. Thanks again guys! When I make my final decision and purchase I'll be back at you guys for some help with the box design.

wow how much power cuz in a SUV you should be louderd then a 135.4

Yeah yeah, I know. They were getting 400w a piece in a box tunes to 33hz. It was my first comp so I didn't really know what i was doing. Maybe I could have used a better song. I hit a 138 on a test tone though.

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

great, thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm going to measure the opening in my rear seats to see how much space I have, and the trunk as well to see exactly what would be the best (10's or 12's). There is not much space in the cabin, so I'm assuming two 10's or 12's sealed from the trunk would probably destroy in my car. 130-140dB would be more than enough for me. Last thing is I need an answer for how to connect the baffle to the metal framing behind the seats (between seats and trunk). I'm assuming some decent sized bolts and pre-drilling holes in the MDF would be the most solid way of doing it. Thanks again guys! When I make my final decision and purchase I'll be back at you guys for some help with the box design.

I wouldnt do it facing forward sealed off.

I would do it either subs and port back, or subs forward with the port in the rear of the car facing the drivers side if you plan to compete any, or to the passenger side if you just want to drive it around.

I wouldnt do it facing forward sealed off.

I would do it either subs and port back, or subs forward with the port in the rear of the car facing the drivers side if you plan to compete any, or to the passenger side if you just want to drive it around.

So you're saying I shouldn't face it in the cabin sealed from the trunk? I got mixed reactions from you guys, some of you say no, some yes. One thing that is good about facing it into the cabin sealed off is that I'll have a lot less trunk rattle. But you guys think it will be loudest facing backwards? I don't mind extra work but I'm not down to do a full wall or cut into the existing parts of the car. I know there's threads on what way to face subs etc. I've read them all but there's no set conclusion as to which is better. I have seen both methods hitting real hard. I'm also going for aesthetics.