Debt Collection Statutes of Limitation on Debt Collection

Fair Debt Collection

What types of debt collection practices are prohibited?

Collection activities are strictly regulated, and it isn't possible to list each and every act that violates the law. Still, some common examples are:

• use threats of violence or harm;
  • publish a list of consumers who refuse to pay their debts (except to a credit bureau);
  • use obscene or profane language; or repeatedly use the telephone to annoy someone.
  • falsely imply that they are attorneys or government representatives;
  • falsely imply that you have committed a crime;
  • falsely represent that they operate or work for a credit bureau;
  • misrepresent the amount of your debt;
  • indicate that papers being sent to you are legal forms when they are not; or
  • indicate that papers being sent to you are not legal forms when they are.
  • state you will be arrested if you do not pay your debt;
  • state they will seize, garnish, attach, or sell your property or wages, unless the collection agency or creditor intends to do so, and it is legal to do so; or
  • actions, such as a lawsuit, will be taken against you, when such action legally may not be taken, or when they do not intend to take such action.
  • give false credit information about you to anyone, including a credit bureau;
  • send you anything that looks like an official document from a court or government agency when it is not; or
  • use a false name.
  • collect any amount greater than your debt, unless your state law permits such a charge;
  • deposit a post-dated check prematurely;
  • use deception to make you accept collect calls or pay for telegrams;
  • take or threaten to take your property unless this can be done legally; or
  • contact you by postcard.

http://www.bcsallian...y_debt_sol.html

State Statutes of Limitation on Debt Collection

If a debt collector contacts you regarding an old debt, do not admit that you owe the debt and do not agree to make any payments. Simply tell them that the "statute of limitations has run on this debt and do not contact me again". If they continue contacting you, send them a certified letter, return receipt requested, telling them not to contact you about the debt again. Remember -- DO NOT ADMIT THAT YOU OWE THE DEBT, DO NOT AGREE TO PAY THE DEBT, AND DO NOT AGREE TO SEND ANY MONEY TO THEM. If you do, then the statute of limitations might start running all over again, giving them the legal right to sue you.

well they sent a letter willing to settle for 3 grand. but no job in college w/ uncle sam pay'n and living off of limited funds i dont have the cash. only i my equipment is i find old amps i know i can fix and sell them or use them. if they wanna take me to court let them. no judge is gonna take everything i have which isnt much from a single parent in college trien to better themselves

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

techforce_teamdbs.gif