Second Skin Audio

Reconing JL Audio W7

Bad_By_Law

I have recently gotten a JL 13W7 in some trading and payment, it needs reconed but as most people know JL is pricks about there stuff and i have to give over $400 just for the re-cone then pay for shipping so i was thinking of using a 15inch fi audio q recone. Then i can make of for the xmax lost since a W7 has 32mm and a FI Audio Q has 28mm so the 2 inchs bigger should make it better. I know how the recone its just my voice coil that fried so i might just repair the voice coil? I'm guess you all know that the screws go underneath the foam so it should all work fine. What do you think? do you have any better ideas? Do you know anyone who could do it? Maybe i should just use this magnet on another sub? i could also get a basket with the FI Audio Q recone and just use the magnet with the basket but not exactly sure how to do that? thanks for your time

I have recently gotten a JL 13W7 in some trading and payment, it needs reconed but as most people know JL is pricks about there stuff and i have to give over $400 just for the re-cone then pay for shipping so i was thinking of using a 15inch fi audio q recone. Then i can make of for the xmax lost since a W7 has 32mm and a FI Audio Q has 28mm so the 2 inchs bigger should make it better. I know how the recone its just my voice coil that fried so i might just repair the voice coil? I'm guess you all know that the screws go underneath the foam so it should all work fine. What do you think? do you have any better ideas? Do you know anyone who could do it? Maybe i should just use this magnet on another sub? i could also get a basket with the FI Audio Q recone and just use the magnet with the basket but not exactly sure how to do that? thanks for your time

unfortunately, u basically have a paper weight

recones dont work like u think, the w7 has a 3.5" voicecoil, this is VERY uncommon and no regular audio company caries them... this was part of jl audio's plan, it forces you to go thru them for 99% of customers

a recone consist of a new surround/cone, spiders, voicecoil, lead wires, and its extremely difficult to remove once assembled together

u cannot bolt on a basket after the soft parts have been installed on this sub either

david moore at fixmyspeaker.com used to be able to fix these, but he no longer has parts/wants to mess with jl

im unaware of anywhere else to get it reconed, otherwise id snatch up 2 blown 12s from my buddy

so try to sell it or start saving

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

first off don't make 2 threads with the same post...second do not post in the new announcements section

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

DC carries 3.5" coils iirc.

If you're lucky you might be able to acetone the coil off the cone and replace it with a DC coil.... but aligning it would be a real bitch.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

i'd take one for playing with

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

If its a 12" w7 then its easier but not simple. the 12w7 has 3" coil but outer diameter of the coils is weird so its not readily available. And yeah like someone else stated, its not just putting the coils in and that's it. Theres a gap that you gotta fit the coils in and the gap on a w7 is really tiny. Really not worth it for 10" or 13.5" or whatever the hell they have.

SPL-Lab REPCar: 1996 Honda Accord F22B1 CoupeSuspension: Megan Racing Full Street Coilover Dampener KitAlternator: DC Power XP 270Batteries: XS Power D5100 & D3100Wiring: KnuKonceptz & 2/0 Welding cableHeadunit: Kenwood KDC-MP642UComponents: Hybrid Audio ClarusAmplifers: Lanzar OPTI250X4Subwoofer: 2 Sundown Audio E8.v2Deadener: Sound Deadener ShowdownSPL Meter: SPL-Lab RTA Pro meterWant an SPL meter for a lot less than the cost of a Termlab, but just as accurate and has the same features? PM me.CA ref: (enellz, 92c1v1c, el_chupo_, Thixx, Kraudio12, SethPhillips, NJack2AF, JamesKarr, ExpoSport, 01 S 10, wgsj_fortvalley, fast306stang, Lakota, blackga, TheLow, adrian1185, the727kid, rudy, sundownz, lmllopez, traksta15, gentlejax, satchel50207, Bigthangs, Goindef154)CACO ref: (extremechevyman67, ghostmechanic, FatBoy2, TheMan007, bdufner, 350zkid, ironb, bmansbach)SSA ref as phi: ( shizzzon, porkchop, onebadmonte, stevemead, TRP, ///M5, denim)SMD ref: (DC Power Rob, Nathan@XSPOWER, Jman08)And then some.

Archived