Sonic Electronix

Runnng an amp at half it's rated ohm load

Very nice and informative thread here, try not to start fighting please!!

Yes, you can play with a lower nominal for daily, but in my case, i prefer to do it just for burps, impedance rise changes depending on the frequency , even having a big ass electric system, there´s always risks, if i were living on the US where an amplifier and parts are "cheap" i would do it, but over here, no fucking way haha :pardon:

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

• 12 years later...

I have 6 MTX 9500 svc 4ohm 12” subs,

And I have SALT8K amp I want to run.

i need to know is it safe to run these subs from that amp being that calculates to 0.67ohms?

have 2 370amp alts, and dual xs power D3400

batteries. All 2/0 power cables.

thanks EIGHTBALLDETROIT 02/13/2023

4DA774F7-8208-4D21-9523-4AD4759EA505.jpeg

1957E3B0-EBC1-431E-AA5D-8BE8AD895F77.jpeg

Edited by EightBallDetroit
Added pictures

The amp should handle that impedance just fine, however your electrical system is no where near up to par for it, and you will most likely blow the amp because it will be starved for juice.
That amp can do just shy of 12,000watts rms @ 1ohm certified on the SMD Amp Dyno (AD-1) so your looking at  1200+ amps of current full tilt.

When I was using my 6 XS Power D3100s in the back and 2 XS Power S3400s and 3 DC Power 390XP alternators under the hood of my Tahoe (before swapping to lithium batteries) with 9 runs of 1/0 positive and 9 runs of 1/0 negative wire from the front batteries to the back batteries I was having massive voltage drop into the low 11's when i cracked the volume up with just 2 Sundown SAZ-4500D amps wired at .35 each. That's less potential power than the Salt 8, with like 5 times more electrical than you have. 

In all honesty I would wire the amp up at 2.66 ohms.

The Salt 8k will still do around 6000watts rms at that ohm load, and even then you are going to be stressing your electrical system with that amp being wired at 2.66 ohms, but its going to be a hell of a lot safer and way less risk of you popping the amp until you're able to upgrade your electrical system to match the amps needs.

Besides those MTX 9500 subs are nothing crazy and only rated for 1,000 watts rms, and I'm more than certain that once you upgrade your electrical and wire that amp to .67 those subs will be blown in the first 10 minutes because for all that size and heft they have they can't really take power that great.

Just wire two sets of 3 subs in parallel, then take the 2 sets and run them in series to give you 2.66 ohms.