Sonic Electronix

As the title suggests: What are the pros and cons of a bigger / smaller sub box? I know that in a ported box, bigger = more effecient, but smaller = more power before reaching excursion limits.

Does the still apply to sealed boxes? Will it affect frequency roll off in any way?

And one more question: Even though a sub may not be recommended for a sealed box, could I still do it? I like the tight feel of a sealed box more, but my favorite sub that I have in my current box is only recommended for a ported box.

I would go with a ported box, plus the sub says to do so. And it's good to have a big ported box but don't go too big or else your sub will sound like ass. And yes you could put it in a sealed box but it will shorten the life of your sub

Sub: 15" Asendant Audio Mayhem

Sub Amp: Audioque 2200d

Headunit: Alpine iDA-X305

Speakers: Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5's & 6x9's

Speaker Amp: Rockford Fosgate Prime 300.4

Wiring: Knukonceptz Kollossus Fleks 0 Gauge(sub)

Knukonceptz Kollossus Fleks 4 Gauge (speakers)

Battery: Optima Yellow Top

Alternator: 165 Amp High Output

the size of the box mostly plats with the pressure inside the box. small box = more pressure. the pressure is a part of the speakers suspension. thats why you can put more power to a sub in a smaller box. subs designed for ported boxes already have a stiff suspension and dont perform well in sealed boxes. while subs that can work well in sealed boxes have very loose suspension.

you could go with a small ported box tuned to about 32hz and still get a nice punchy sound.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

bigger box less power smaller box more power to get loud

BUILDLOG

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=61862

"98crewcab"Never a POS....just always "a work in progress" lol that's how we roll bitches!!!

Your a lowlife kid. I bet your mother wants to kill herself for not swallowing your ass.

only time i would build a smaller box is if i'm running more power to my subs than they're used to handling (do that with a bigger box and it'll blow sooner)

its not that itll blow, itll tear itself apart. if the coil goes out in a large box its more likely that the coil slammed into the bottom plate hard enough to bend something.

skullz - im going off of my logic for that one, not fact. im pretty sure its correct but i could easily be wrong.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

How about for efficiency's sake? Lets just assume same sub, same power to the speaker, etc... Would a smaller or louder box get louder? Would a different size box affect high / low frequency response?

Again, assuming it is a sealed box. I know about it with ported, but not with sealed.

Playing with port area and tuning can also allow you to run more than rated power in a larger box without have mechanical problems i.e. Bottoming out...

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Only variable being the sealed enclosure size, the larger box would have a lower F3 than the smaller one.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Archived