Mechman Alternators

10K watts on one mechman 270 alt.

There is no reason why one alt wouldn't work with 10k RMS. I have ran 4k + with my single 270a alt and a single 3100.

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

yes, 4k+ how much exactly is 4k+? Im running a 7k and my 200A DC alt cant keep up with the current demand from the amp... and i have 4 kinetik 2400s and a 1400 up front

so 1 mechman 270 alt would be enough to handle 800+ amps of current draw from the batts that he has

Edited by Team_DC-Derrick

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Funny, you guys must think my system isnt doing shit then... :peepwall:

no, it isnt that, but for some one who is going to use it in a daily application and probably doesnt own a battery maintainer/charger and charges it at night, its a bit different

Team DC Audio

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

yes, 4k+ how much exactly is 4k+? Im running a 7k and my 200A DC alt cant keep up with the current demand from the amp... and i have 4 kinetik 2400s and a 1400 up front

so 1 mechman 270 alt would be enough to handle 800+ amps of current draw from the batts that he has

IA 40.1 at .5

My electrical was 4 runs of 1/0, 2 + 2 -. DC 270xp, xs power 3400 under the hood and 3100 in the back. Voltage was 15.3 at idle and never dropped below 13 full power. I'm just saying I think you all underestimate XS Power, their batteries are far superior than the competition. I still think that the single 270, 3-4 runs of 1/0, 4 3100's will support 10kw rms.

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

4kw and 10kw is completely different, your talking around 400a worth of draw vs 800 or even higher...

it has nothing to do with the batteries, i have no doubt the batteries kick ass... but im running a similar setup and if he wants alot of voltage drop then sure, he can go what your suggesting... or he can buy another alt and not worry about it

Edited by Team_DC-Derrick

Team DC Audio

It's better to be safe then sorry. I'd get another 270 amp alt and at least one more battery. If you keep the one alt like said above, you have to worry about voltage drop and then you're more susceptible to clipping unless you set gains for that low voltage but then you won't get the full potential of your system.

Guessing its a daily beater, and most daily beaters dont use chargers at night.. so the batts will continuously be drained way below what they should be..

I would get atleast 2 270A alts or so, if its a true 10k rms and not that silly 10k max BS..

so im gonna go with teejay with this one

Agreed.

lower tuning is just hard. I was surprised how loud 145 sounds at 35hz, and how quiet 145 sounds at 50hz.

-= 2005 Tahoe LT =-Head unit: Pioneer AVH-X5500BHSSource: iPad Mini in dash

Subs: 2 T1 12's

Sub Amp: T1500-1bdCPWire: Rockford Fosgate 1/0 awgSignal Cable: MonsterFronts:Stock Bose for now:)Rears: Stock Bose for now:)MIds/High amp: Stock Bose for now:)

2005 Tahoe Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172529-2005-tahoe-my-17th-vehicle/

2001 Monte Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/160030-2001-monte-carlo-my-16th-car-lol/page-2#entry25309381997 Tahoe Build Log: http://www.stevemead...oe-6-15-rf-15s/2001 Impala Build Log: http://www.stevemead...katzkin-inside/SMDSig3-26-12.jpg

A single 270 and 4 D3100 batts will power 10K decently. You would definitely want to pick up a small battery charger to put on the batteries when the vehicle is not in use. The primary variable here (that nobody has brought up) is play duration. Obviously, you will not be able to beat on the system as long in between rest periods. (letting the engine run with no load to allow the alternator to bring the batteries back up and cool) By most people's standards, you will be able to beat on it HARD for at least a minute or so at full tilt with no problems. Obviously, you won't be able to hammer 10,000 watts on Lil John all day long, but more than likely your voice coils would melt before that anyway.

What I WOULD recommend for any system that is alternator limited, would be switching to 14 volt batteries. You can get away with way less alternator capacity, and still stay in a healthy voltage range. I've run 6,000 watts RMS on only (2) D1400 batts and a MechMan 150 amp alternator, and never fallen below the 15 volt range.