Second Skin Audio

What's the best frequency to tune a box to?

sstalder5

Hi everyone! First off, I'm Sam, I'm new here, but not really a noob to car audio or forums.

Now, down to business. I'm building a new box for my subs to try and eliminate some dead space in my trunk behind and on each side of my current rectangular box. I've built a few boxes before so I'm familiar with some of the building calculators available and I don't need help with dimensions or the building process. What I do need help with is picking a frequency to tune the box to. I've heard that 35hz is the best SPL tuning. Will this destroy the SQ? I'd like to find a frequency that's the best of both worlds. The box will be a wedge shape slot ported box, and I can play around with the exact dimensions to get the right tuning. The subs are 2 Polk Audio MM1240svc running 750rms each at 4 ohms.

2002 Subaru Outback

Alpine CDM-9821

Alpine KTP-445

4 x Alpine Type R 6.5s

2 x Polk Audio MM 12's

Quantum Audio qsa1500D

polkaudio_logo.gifalpine.jpg

Hi everyone! First off, I'm Sam, I'm new here, but not really a noob to car audio or forums.

Now, down to business. I'm building a new box for my subs to try and eliminate some dead space in my trunk behind and on each side of my current rectangular box. I've built a few boxes before so I'm familiar with some of the building calculators available and I don't need help with dimensions or the building process. What I do need help with is picking a frequency to tune the box to. I've heard that 35hz is the best SPL tuning. Will this destroy the SQ? I'd like to find a frequency that's the best of both worlds. The box will be a wedge shape slot ported box, and I can play around with the exact dimensions to get the right tuning. The subs are 2 Polk Audio MM1240svc running 750rms each at 4 ohms.

There is no "best" number to tune to. It depends on the vehicle cabin and what you intend to do with the system. I dont think 35hz is high enough to harm SQ. What vehicle is this going into? Maybe somebody with the same car can chime in.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

plz search

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

There is no "best" number to tune to. It depends on the vehicle cabin and what you intend to do with the system. I dont think 35hz is high enough to harm SQ. What vehicle is this going into? Maybe somebody with the same car can chime in.

Car is a 2002 Subaru Outback. I'd like to keep some sound quality, while still having plenty of volume to play with ;)

17252_1207040901595_1395840221_30570070_3337563_n.jpg

2002 Subaru Outback

Alpine CDM-9821

Alpine KTP-445

4 x Alpine Type R 6.5s

2 x Polk Audio MM 12's

Quantum Audio qsa1500D

110hz is the best for SPL and 2hz is best for lows

hahah

OP, what type of music do you listen to? 35hz is a good median

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

I would say that 35 would be fine for what you want. Are you planning on doing the subs up and port back or what?

Port is definitely facing back. I kind of want to have the subs downward firing so they're out of the way and protected, with the amp mounted on top. But I think theyre just too pretty to do that :)

7099.jpg

2002 Subaru Outback

Alpine CDM-9821

Alpine KTP-445

4 x Alpine Type R 6.5s

2 x Polk Audio MM 12's

Quantum Audio qsa1500D

I would say that 35 would be fine for what you want. Are you planning on doing the subs up and port back or what?

Port is definitely facing back. I kind of want to have the subs downward firing so they're out of the way and protected, with the amp mounted on top. But I think theyre just too pretty to do that :)

7099.jpg

Yeah I dont think I would mount them down being the car is sort of a hatchback/wagon.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

Archived