Sonic Electronix

Hey guys, I've got a 2000 chevy s10 extended cab with a full system already installed, with a pioneer 8200 head unit. One question about this HU first... I've already bypassed the unit, but I cant get the right file type to get it to play a video! What file type have you guys converted to (On macs) to get your pioneer head units to play videos?

Anyways... I want to keep my head unit in the factory location, but I want to add in a nice big touchscreen mac mini under the dash, right in the middle of the cab. I've looked around a lot, but I just can't find the right type of monitor for this job. It needs to be a touchscreen, that can I can use to control my mac, and thats about it... I just need to make an MDF enclosure for the monitor and the mac mini, and make it all look pretty... Please send me some ideas, and cool things to get the most out of this project!

Hey guys, I've got a 2000 chevy s10 extended cab with a full system already installed, with a pioneer 8200 head unit. One question about this HU first... I've already bypassed the unit, but I cant get the right file type to get it to play a video! What file type have you guys converted to (On macs) to get your pioneer head units to play videos?

Anyways... I want to keep my head unit in the factory location, but I want to add in a nice big touchscreen mac mini under the dash, right in the middle of the cab. I've looked around a lot, but I just can't find the right type of monitor for this job. It needs to be a touchscreen, that can I can use to control my mac, and thats about it... I just need to make an MDF enclosure for the monitor and the mac mini, and make it all look pretty... Please send me some ideas, and cool things to get the most out of this project!

Now more people will see it! I am in the same situation as you, I have a 2000 Sonoma ext cab that I want to put a screen in. I searched for "raw lcd monitors" on google and some other sites and found a few. What size are you looking for?

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

Do you want to play video from the head unit or from the mac?

For the head unit, you can either lookup the info on the head unit or just convert to every video file possible and try each one, which is what I did.

i suck men dry...email me for details

http://www.eio.com/p-1437-xenarc-1020tsv-102-touch-screen-lcd-monitor.aspx

there is the monitor that Steve has

just plugs in to the mac mini like any normal computer

I think mac mini's use a mini DVI or something similar so you need an adapter to VGA which Apple sells

then you just run the line out from the mac to an Aux port on your headunit and you can use the mac as a source and control the volume from your deck

obviously there is more to research like how to get the power supply to run off your s10's 12v system but I don't know exactly how to do that

I was going to use an iPad for my install and use a Pioneer as the deck

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Thank you for the suggestions guys, and especially for posting the monitor Steve used! I think the easiest thing to do here is to keep my existing pioneer 8200 and use the aux in for the music, which will be coming out of my mac. I have seen a few videos about using an 18v power supply to power the mac, so that's an easy fix. But How to power the monitor... That's where I get confused...

Do you want to play video from the head unit or from the mac?

For the head unit, you can either lookup the info on the head unit or just convert to every video file possible and try each one, which is what I did.

I was wondering which file type I could use to play videos in my head unit, before I install the mac... This project is still a few months away haha.