Sonic Electronix

Basically I've been having problems wiring my head unit in the past because the factory harness was cut out of my car and I can't figure out how to get power to the head unit or the ignition wired. I just bought some Crescendo 6.5's and tweeters with a crossover and have no idea how to wire everything.

I then called up my local car audio store and told him I had 2 crescendo mids and 2 tweeters with a crossover plus a Hifonics 4 channel amp..he said that the amp is unnecessary and went on about something about the High Pass/Mid Pass/Low Pass and I would only have High Pass if I use that amp. If I connected all the speakers to the head unit, then I would have High, Mid, and Low pass. What should I do in this case? I mounted all the speakers and have wires running into the cabin, and the car audio store said they would wire the head unit to the speakers Monday for $60 but I want to do it myself and by tomorrow. Any suggestions? Maybe someone could give me their number and could walk me through this shit hahaha..thanks.

Current Setup:

VW GTI 1.8T '02

1 15" Fi BTL

Sundown SAZ-1500D

Box-4.3 cubes

Basically I've been having problems wiring my head unit in the past because the factory harness was cut out of my car and I can't figure out how to get power to the head unit or the ignition wired. I just bought some Crescendo 6.5's and tweeters with a crossover and have no idea how to wire everything.

I then called up my local car audio store and told him I had 2 crescendo mids and 2 tweeters with a crossover plus a Hifonics 4 channel amp..he said that the amp is unnecessary and went on about something about the High Pass/Mid Pass/Low Pass and I would only have High Pass if I use that amp. If I connected all the speakers to the head unit, then I would have High, Mid, and Low pass. What should I do in this case? I mounted all the speakers and have wires running into the cabin, and the car audio store said they would wire the head unit to the speakers Monday for $60 but I want to do it myself and by tomorrow. Any suggestions? Maybe someone could give me their number and could walk me through this shit hahaha..thanks.

What he is saying makes no sense to me. If you are running the components with their crossover it is going to filter the music just like the built in crossover of the amp would. Just hook it up, set the crossover on the amp to full and let the component crossover do its job. As far as hooking up the power. Get a test light or a multimeter and find two fuses in your fuse box to wire them too. The 12 volt should have constant power and the acc should turn off when the car is switched off. Simple as that. Try running the constant to your brake light fuse and your acc to the radio fuse. Should be good to go.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

What he is saying makes no sense to me. If you are running the components with their crossover it is going to filter the music just like the built in crossover of the amp would. Just hook it up, set the crossover on the amp to full and let the component crossover do its job. As far as hooking up the power. Get a test light or a multimeter and find two fuses in your fuse box to wire them too. The 12 volt should have constant power and the acc should turn off when the car is switched off. Simple as that. Try running the constant to your brake light fuse and your acc to the radio fuse. Should be good to go.

Alright, I'm gonna mess around with it tonight and see what I can get. What wires do I run to the fuses though? And my old head unit only went to one fuse, not two hm. Btw thanks for your help! Preciate it.

Current Setup:

VW GTI 1.8T '02

1 15" Fi BTL

Sundown SAZ-1500D

Box-4.3 cubes

x2 ... :drink40:

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

For the constant find something that gets power all the time, or just run a 14guage wire to the front battery......for the turn on you could connect it to something that gets power when the ignition is on, if you cant find the ignition wire, then you can run a wire to the fuse for the windshield wipers.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

I had this issue several times when i first started car audio. Here is the simplest thing in my opinion. The red wire goes from the radio to the positive side of the battery. The yellow wire will go from the radio, to a switch, then to the positive side of the battery. If you think you will have an issue with leaving the radio on when you get out, then wire it to a fuse that cuts off with the car. But I like the switch b/c if you go to a car show, or a parking lot, you can leave the radio on without leaving your keys in your car. Then lastly, run the black wire from the radio to a ground in the car, or the negative side of the battery. One more FYI tidbit, do not run the wires through the door jams. Drill a hole in the firewall, then run the wires through the hole. Make sure you use a grommet on the hole, or cover the wires in split loom. Here is a diagram that might help you out.

radiowiring.png

mivtCK.png

is the whole harness and wires for the radio out of the car or just the connector for the radio?

I tried wiring it a variety of different ways. I wired the yellow (constant 12v) wire from the radio directly to the battery, the negative black ground wire from the radio directly to the negative on the battery, and I wired the ignition wire(red) to the fuse box using a fuse tap - I used 14gauge wire for all of this. It still is not turning on with those wires ran. Do i need to change the ignition wiring from the stereo and/or do something with the other wires? Also, none of the speaker wires are wired to the radio, this shouldn't affect it right? And I also do not have the orange illumination wire hooked up to anything, does it need to be hooked up to anything. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Current Setup:

VW GTI 1.8T '02

1 15" Fi BTL

Sundown SAZ-1500D

Box-4.3 cubes

I had this issue several times when i first started car audio. Here is the simplest thing in my opinion. The red wire goes from the radio to the positive side of the battery. The yellow wire will go from the radio, to a switch, then to the positive side of the battery. If you think you will have an issue with leaving the radio on when you get out, then wire it to a fuse that cuts off with the car. But I like the switch b/c if you go to a car show, or a parking lot, you can leave the radio on without leaving your keys in your car. Then lastly, run the black wire from the radio to a ground in the car, or the negative side of the battery. One more FYI tidbit, do not run the wires through the door jams. Drill a hole in the firewall, then run the wires through the hole. Make sure you use a grommet on the hole, or cover the wires in split loom. Here is a diagram that might help you out.

radiowiring.png

you got that backward....yellow is constant, red is switched.

@OP - what kind of car...year, model, make, trim level...I'll tell you exactly which wires you need to use. If you can't find a constant signal the fuse is probably blown (this happens when thieves cut the ground and power at the same time)

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it