why do people hate on optima yellow tops

Ive had a bad experiences with optima batteries for the off road industry. Ive had 2 yellow tops in my jeep, one of them worked decent until my dad decided to drain it dead by winching someone out of a mud hole. 2nd we had went dead once and never kept a charge, ended up melting one of the terminals off the battery. My brother had a red top in his truck, that sucker was junk to, wouldnt keep a charge for more than 2 days. Now my dads jeep has a optima and his goes dead randomly every now and then, he doesnt have any electrical issues or anything, it just decides to go dead every now and then. It has died twice and never went back to resting at 12v, it rest around the 10-11 volts even after being on a charger.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok i didnt read every post but yellow tops arnt bad i had 3 run for 5 hours with full blast on mids and a little bass now for spl wise i hit .8 dbs with just 1 optima and a stinger 2150 so im shure xs power and kinetik are better but optimas are decent litte things

xspower.jpg

ShowImage-1.jpg

Had an estimate of 6400 for an alpine/clarion setup dealer said it "should" hit around 160db with the custom boxes he was going to make for me..doubtful with so much area to move but, budget is way below that :( any ideas on cheaper brands for that kind of Spl setup? really didnt want to try any Boss or soundstorm, thinking Quantum figure around $150 per speaker "$1800 total" and $1700 to power it, first actual big setup for the van.

New MEMPHIS CAR AUDIO build

4 15s Memphis C3

2 xs power D3100

1 xs power d3400

custom fiberglass door pannel

and lots more

My Build

I've used optima, kinetik, xspower, shuriken and ive never had problems from any of them. I like them all. But everybody isnt like me, some people just have that one kind that they like and stand by, Me on the other hand stand by them all.

www.bassproducers.com

TEAMS

TEAM BASSPRODUCERS, TEAM HERTZ (VA)

*Ranger System*

(4) 18" Kicker Comp

(4) 10" Kicker Comp

Dual Stinger Alts.

(5) Rockford Punch 200's

(2) Punch 100's

*Outlander System*152.6 DB so Far*

(8) TXX-APX12W

(2) AP-30001D'S

(2) AP-2004'S

(8) APMB6'S

(4) KHC2400'S

Bump. Lol want see other comments

xspower.jpg

ShowImage-1.jpg

Had an estimate of 6400 for an alpine/clarion setup dealer said it "should" hit around 160db with the custom boxes he was going to make for me..doubtful with so much area to move but, budget is way below that :( any ideas on cheaper brands for that kind of Spl setup? really didnt want to try any Boss or soundstorm, thinking Quantum figure around $150 per speaker "$1800 total" and $1700 to power it, first actual big setup for the van.

New MEMPHIS CAR AUDIO build

4 15s Memphis C3

2 xs power D3100

1 xs power d3400

custom fiberglass door pannel

and lots more

My Build

God Damn where are the listed for $329 for optima yellow tops..... They are only 189 plus tax here

shit they most be gold plated I gettem for 160

SONY XAV-701HD
RF power 400.4 RF power 1000bd

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
2 sets of components MB quart 6.5 onx (2 tweets 2 6.5 perdoor)
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

http://www.stevemead...-vid-pg-11-922/

http://www.youtube.c.../TheBigmescan74

yeah i know they are a tad expensive but i thought it was a performance issue everybody was having with them

all these kids these days are so hung up on all the bandwagon stuff ya know. i love optima stuff. i know that if im doing a show and i have a batt kick the bucket on me, i can just find an autozone and get an exact replacement. try that with kinetik or xs power. not trying to say that those arent good batts, because they are excellent batts.

Powermaster and Odyssey batteries are superior in every aspect......there is no bandwagon stuff about it, the numbers and results dont lie.....

superior in EVERY aspect? even in availability? where do you live that you can walk in your local parts store and find xs power or kinetik?

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

IMO, I'd got with a redtop under the hood, and yellows for your system. Like Hugh said, if one goes dead, you can go to your local parts store. And really, they aren't that expensive when compared to xs, kinetic, xstatic. And also, you got the batts now that have the top posts, and the screw in side posts.

mivtCK.png

And really, they aren't that expensive when compared to xs, kinetic, xstatic.

and there you go. thats what so many people are overlooking by comparing them to the xs and kinetik stuff. may as well compare kicker comps to T3 tsns while we are at it.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

If you actually take care of your batteries optima should be ok. By taking care of them it means you don't leave them sag under 12.5 volts for weeks and you actually check them as they sit several hours after they have been off a charger or several hours after the the vehicle has ran.If you leave your batteries sag for extended periods they can and will act much different as part of the battery is ruined. When a battery in that condition is ran in line with good or better condition batteries you are asking for trouble eventually as a battery in that shape will never be "charged" thus destroying the better conditioned batteries.

Archived