why do people hate on optima yellow tops

I have no real problem with yellow top, I would never buy one new for full price and I would never put one inside of my car for an install ever. I had a new one blow up on me (what a fucking mess!) but optima replaced it free of charge. I save yellow and red tops people leave me when I replace their batts (usually with another Optima or Kinetik). I have two right now in the garage with dead cells because the Advance Autoparts near me has a spring deal where you bring in a bad battery and they'll replace it with the same or equal size battery for 60% off. Needless to say, I use that deal every year, and then turn around and install them in these highschool kids cars for full price. They save money on the labor I don't charge for it and their amps last a long time because their not riding on a shitty Everstart and I make that 60% back in profit. Its a win win for everybody! But I'm a Kinetik, XS and C&D guy. I've ran all three and never had a problem, except XS is a little pricey for my blood most days.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Hi!

so about optimas...(i am buying one)

what is bettter bettween the Optimas?

*red top

*blue top or

*yellow top??

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

yeah i know they are a tad expensive but i thought it was a performance issue everybody was having with them

all these kids these days are so hung up on all the bandwagon stuff ya know. i love optima stuff. i know that if im doing a show and i have a batt kick the bucket on me, i can just find an autozone and get an exact replacement. try that with kinetik or xs power. not trying to say that those arent good batts, because they are excellent batts.

Powermaster and Odyssey batteries are superior in every aspect......there is no bandwagon stuff about it, the numbers and results dont lie.....

superior in EVERY aspect? even in availability? where do you live that you can walk in your local parts store and find xs power or kinetik?

one of the local car audio shops has odyssey/stinger batteries all day everyday, a local race shop is a powermaster dealer and they have the batts, and there is a continental warehouse about 30mins from me (i live in the woods) that has kinetik and odyssey....

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

I've got 3 yellow tops and they work fine. I'm surprised no one has mentioned batcap which in my experience tops all other brands. I would rate the yellow top within the top 10 batteries to use.

Some of the top ones are in no particular order

NSB

Batcap

XS power

Kinetic

Oddesy

Powermaster

Yellow top

All of these are solid performers.

People have been mentioning batcaps. THey have just been referring to them as xstatic.

Lots of interesting replies in this thread, but not many facts to support the claims. I personally do not recommend yellow tops as a replacement for your stock battery. They are a deep cycle design - this is not just a sticker on the side of a battery that is for marketing purposes. Deep cycle batteries differ greatly from standard starting batteries and they have a very different intended use - like powering a trolling motor in a boat.

Here's where folks run into problems with Yellow Tops - they don't charge them properly. An alternator really isn't the ideal way to maintain a yellow top. The following link will provide some great insight to those that can absorb it: http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/energystorage/pdfs/evs_17paper.pdf

On the other hand, I've had excellent results with Red Tops when used correctly - as a primary starting battery. Here's what I don't like about them . . . over time, they tend to rest significantly lower than 12.6 VDC. The one in my Mustang rests right around 12.2 VDC right now. In most cases, that indicates a DEAD battery, but the red tops seem to migrate that way over time. Honestly, I'm really not sure why this is.

Maybe Nathan or Scottie can chime in and provide some additional facts.

hmm so would you recamend a red top for under the hood and adding the yellow top in the back? im not one with alot of funds and would rather use what i got and upgrade to make it a lil better. and at 200 a pop it was my oonly choice at that time. i suppose i could sell it but id rather not deal with trying to sell it lol. just tryinm to learn a lil here ha an old dog can learn new tricks IMO :drinks:

yellow is the deep cycle

red is a starting battery

and blue is a marine battery .

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

im pretty sure the blue top is a yellow top with the marine posts.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

yellow is the deep cycle

yes

yellow is the deep cycle

i run blue top in the back of my car right now.... it does just fine for me.

im pretty sure the blue top is a yellow top with the marine posts.

that is correct and the g31 is the big ones with the offset cells....

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

The biggest problem with Optima is that people don't use them properly. Red Top for under the hood as a starting battery. Yellow Top for high drain, massive discharge/charge cycle batteries...these need to be isolated from each other. They are not interchangeable and don't work well together. Blue Top for DEEP cycle, like marine, where they are being discharged completely, then recharged later. This is why I'm not a fan of them. They each serve their purpose, and are very good at THAT purpose, but mixing them makes for difficulties and failure. For audio applications there are better batteries to use that will serve multiple purposes, like starting and high duty cycle.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Archived