why do people hate on optima yellow tops

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my opinion why I like XS better than Optima

These are the specs for a Yellow Top Group 31 Autozone cost is $329.99.

Features & Benefits

Optima YellowTop Deep Cycle & Starting Battery for Extreme Conditions where the battery performs deep cycle & starting jobs! Spill-proof AGM design can be mounted in most positions, is more vibration resistant & recharges faster than a standard battery.

* Optima YellowTop can provide 2X Longer Life!

* Optima Batteries can be mounted in most positions.

* Provides cleaner and higher power for car audio systems.

* Optima is built to withstand abuse and vibration!

Part Number: D31A

Weight: 60.88 lbs

Warranty: 3 YR

Application: Truck

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 900

Core Charge Applicable: Yes

DIN Designation: BCI or EN Only

EN Designation: DIN or BCI Only

Height (In): 9.375

Height (mm): 241

Length (In): 12.8125

Length (mm): 329

Width (In): 6.5625

Width (mm): 169

Weight (Lbs): 59.8

Post Location: Top Post

Reserve Capacity (Min): 155

Right Or Left Hand Positive: Left

Voltage: 12

Here are the specs for an XS D3100 Group 31 Battery--- XS Retail price is $349 but if you got in on the Holiday sale then you could get it for Right around $300

Weight: 35Kgs / 77 lbs

Length: 5.92mm / 0.23 in

Height: 215mm / 8.46 in

Width: 176mm / 6.93 in

MAX Amps: 5000

RC: 110min.

* Can provide power for up to 4,000W as the main battery, or up to 5,000W as a supplement to an existing charging system.

* Group 31 – Replaces Kinetik HC2400

* Includes M6x1.0 terminal hardware

* Extremely vibration resistant

* Includes M6x1.0 terminal hardware

I have used Optima Yellow tops, then I switched to Kinetiks, and I am now running XS Power. Each time I switched my voltage got better. I felt like the optima batteries drained faster than the kinetiks, and the XS Powers I am running now hold stronger for much longer than either of the others. Just to compare price points here, if you can get the XS Power Batteries at the same price or for less then I feel like you are getting a much better battery.

This argument is rather vague in the fact that you cannot fairly compare batteries without specifying exactly what group battery you are using. In no way is it fair to compare a Yellow top group 34 or 31 to an XS D1200. Given that the batteries are the same and given the prices, I would take a group 31 XS over a Group 31 Optima Yellow top all day.

I bought a yellow top for my truck last february. Cranks up my 11.5 to 1 compression lt1 very good. I also got a 454 chevy motorhome. I bought new die hard gold battery for it and it cranked it ok when new. Was going on trip so decided to put optima in for starting & it cranked the motor over better than I ever heard it. 2 months ago, I was offroadin truck and battery bracket broke and it fell into belt system and shorted out, caught wire on fire, and got a descent hole in side of case. Remounted in, and drove home. Worked fine till last week, when it died on me. I recharged it & load tested it & shows good but I swapped it out with a deka intimidator(can't b left stranded where I drive truck sometimes). I got no warranty now cause I messed up case. It was my fault though. When it worked, it was good for me. 3 year replacement is good too. I got a good deal from advanced auto parts on it for $130, but I called him last week for another 1 & best they could do was $170 so I got the deka.

99 GMC Suburban

2 Death Penalty 21"

2 Crescendo BC2000

Boston GT-42 Amp

6 Selenium 6w4p

4 Crescendo tweets

Hi output cs144 alt

Audiocontrol Epic-160

Pioneer DVD head unit

I have also ran all three optima, kinetik and xs power. Xs power held voltage the best and produced the best score on the same vehicle. The optima yellow sat at a lower resting voltage then the other two agm style brands and was harder to maintain float voltage of 13.5 or higher.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

God Damn where are the listed for $329 for optima yellow tops..... They are only 189 plus tax here

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

they hate on them because they want to believe what they have is better than an already good battery, when in turn they all still sit around 12.6 volts and start up your car. lol

haha but for cereal. theres nothing wrong with a yellow top, hell, i got a kinetic hc600 and as soon as it got to me it had a dead or shorted cell. doesnt mean kinetic's are shitty batteries though. its just on what you want and what you trust i guess.

apparently you dont get the fact that the subaru was wrapped around a pole. and by the status of your comment, im guessing your mouth is too.

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Civic EX

Exterior: 55w 5k Headlights and 35w 3k JDM Fogs. Lowered. Sittin on steelies right now

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate P450.4

Batteries: Kinetik HC 800

Electrical: Big 3 in 1/0

Enclosure: n/a : (

Headunit: Clarion VZ409

Mids/Highs: Pheonix Gold Rsd6.5's in the Front Doors

Subwoofers: n/a : (

Wire: Knukoncepts 1/0 and 4g

Future Upgrades: 20% tint all around, GC/Koni coilovers, body work (fml) lol

I didnt bother reading all the bullshit that Im sure is in this thread...

My personal experience with optima, is fucking bad... I've had cells go bad in 4 of the 4 I've owned... So, it has nothing to do with world championships or any bullshit like that... Oh, and I've used all 3 brands, xs, kinetik, and optima... I will let you know how my xs do... Kinetiks swelled like a pregnant bitch in heat...

Somebody has to put this in their sig lol.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

At least your opinion is from experience Ryan and not just personally hating optima with no personal experience with them

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

At least your opinion is from experience Ryan and not just personally hating optima with no personal experience with them

X2. I have never had a problem with Optima, granted I have never had a system large enough to stress a battery either though lol. All I can comment on is their starting capabilities which they do well. Anybody or any install shop with ties to other brands will be partial to what they sell or use. Hell even my local shop has a sign over his register with a little man peeing on an Alpine logo....He sells Jensen headunits in this store.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

Archived