Test Tones and Tuning Tutorial - All New Links, Again!

whats the best test tone for 10 inch subs? sealed box...

2005 Dodge Magnum

Kenwood DNX573S Double Din

NVX Big 3 Kit

NVX 0 Gauge Cable & speaker cable

XS Power V3100 Battery

Iraggi Alternator 320A

3.5" NVX Speakers

6.5" Incriminator Audio Components (just mids)

6x9" NVX Speaker

MVPA4 Amplifier

(2) 12" NVX VCW Subwoofers

XPLD3K NVX Amplifier

YouTube Channel

@CarlosTj664

• 1 year later...

I recently used the 40hz 0db test tone you provided to help set the gain on my sub. So I have a few questions.

1. My headunit is a Kenwood KDC - 997, and the sub level input range is -15 to 0 to +15. I left the input level at 0 when I set the gain. Is this ideal? The crossover point is 80hz with -6 slope(if this info is necessary)

2. Amp is an Alpine PDX5....the mono sub channel (300rms)is running a single JL 10w3v3 sealed 0.62cuft. Prior to using the test tone I was able to set the gain at roughly 3/4 before I noticed the sub would not play any louder. With the 40hz 0db test tone I could only set the gain at 12oclock, (half way) before I noticed the sub went from playing smooth to muddy.

Am I using the wrong test tone or should I set the sub input level on the negitive side if using the 0db test tone?

My concern is that I am now potentially under driving the sub with the gain set where it is. And it doesnt seem to play as full as it did before. So I guess what I am asking is, by using one of the negitive DB test tones, will it allow me to set the gains higher? Or does it not matter.

I appreciate any input......oh 4ohm impendence overall.

Build

Kenwood Exceleron KDC-997

Focal PC165s

JL Audio 10w3v3 Powerwedge

Alpine PDX5

Kicker 4 awg Power wire kit.

12awg Speaker wire

Stinger 8000 Series RCAs

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a question about this that hopefully the OP or another expert can answer. I have been using a program called MP3Gain which is a lossless gain converter program, and I have run every song I have on my computer through it over the years. I've always set them at 89dB which is the default. I did this originally to keep one song from being louder than the other and it does a great job of that. I can turn my music up to whatever volume is my max and be safe and comfortable with the music playing.

My question is about the test tones. I do not know exactly how they work overall so I'm wondering if I need to run all the files through that program or will that make differing files (example: 0dB, -5dB and -10dB) tones all the same volume? Does anyone know how that works?

Also, I have a DD1 coming in the mail as we speak and this applies to that as well. Should I use the provided CD and tune my setup or should I download the files digitally and run them through MP3Gain?

thanks in advance,

John

Edit: So I played around with some 80hz test tones I had on my computer and used 89dB as "0dB" reference, then copied the file twice and made one file at 84dB (-5dB) and another at 79dB (-10dB). I played them in my music player and they all sounded the same, but then I realized that Music Bee adjusts volumes to allow even and normalized playing (which is awesome).

Next I played all 3 raw files in Windows Media Player and I had 3 different volumes of 80hz tones... So I do believe the proper way I should tune my setup with the DD1 is to use my own test tones I have and adjust them to whatever -dB rating I want and upload them to the same flash drive I use for music, as opposed to using a CD that could have 0dB at ~97dB like most current CD's do. Do you guys agree with that?

• 4 months later...

I'm learning about properly tuning amps. I'm going to run my 4 channel on my mids and highs. Channels 1 and 2 for tweets 3 and 4 for mids. Should I set mid gains with a 150 hz tone and tweets with say 3500hz tone?

I believe 1khz for mids, and 5khz for highs is what has been recommended in the past by some. That's the quick and easy way. In all honesty the proper way (if using a DD-1 or oscilloscope) is to use frequency sweeps or a tone generator to do the sweeps yourself. That way for subs (example: 20hz to 80hz) is clean, and then mids (80hz to 5khz) is clean, and highs (5khz to 20khz) is clean. Those are just examples of crossover points though. Get what I'm saying? It will take a lot more time, but say you're clean at 1khz with -5dB overlap with the gain set to a little over 1/4 the way up according to DD-1, but at 600hz you're getting clipping or distortion, you'd want to turn the gain back down till its clean wouldn't you? Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Took me a while to find this thread again ~_~.

I'm going to retune my system

I can't remember if I tuned with 0dB or 3dB test tones the last time I did it though.

If all I listen to is Decaf zips 1 to 39, do you guys recommend I stay at 0dB to tune it safe or should I go -3dB for more bass?

Decaf zips shouldn't have too much clipping right? I remember a few tracks he used were clipped because the original songs were clipped when produced.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Archived