Test Tones and Tuning Tutorial - All New Links, Again!

When I use the "real time analyzer" it shows the peak dbfs and rms dbfs, just to see where my music lands at when listening to it so I know weather to use 0db, -2.5db, -5db as the test tone when I tune it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also when tuning my sub amp gain can i play a hz test tone through my blue tooth on my phone?

• 1 year later...

1. On 1/6/2011 at 7:20 PM, Autruche said:

Step 1: Tuning your head unit:

Tools that will be required:

An Oscilliscope with probes or probe and clip connectors

Test tones,

For bass: I recommend using a 40Hz tone.

For treble: I recommend using a 1000Hz tone.

Make sure the tone is the same amplitude that you will use to tune your amp. If it isn't you could either be sending clipped waves from the head unit, or not getting full voltage through the RCAs.

2. On 6/4/2011 at 8:53 AM, Autruche said:

When it comes to tuning your system you should always use a 0dB tone to set your head unit volume, EQ, Epicenters, etc... but you may use whatever desired tone for the amp. If you were to use a sine wave of -3dB to set your head unit, then used the -3dB tone to set your amplifier it would be tuned as if you used a -6dB tone on the amp. However, now since you had tuned your head unit with a lower amplitude, your head unit will have a higher maximum volume. At that volume the head unit could actually be clipping a bit.

Which train of thought is correct? Should HU be tuned w/ 0dB tone regardless, or should the amplitude of the tone match the the amplitude of the tone you use for your amps?

Archived