Sonic Electronix

Dropping low... big port or small port?

Download the Torres box calculator, put in all your measurements for the box and port and it will give you your box tuning

sigbanner.png

2001 chevy cavalier

Rebuild in progress

what happens when your CD player skips and you accidentally drop a 22 hz sine bomb at an unholy volume on 7-8 year old subs? Mechanical failure floppy sub knockage on at least 2.

well...as i see the level 6 is compared to a lamborghini.....but a corvette?

i was thinking more like a chevy volt. its cute and new and "hip", but i would just rather stick my dick in a blender.........

funny since that torres box calculator came out everyone thinks they are a pro and think they can design a box all the sudden. there is more than just plugging in numbers to building a great/correct box. every vehicle and every subwoofer is different and it also depends on how much power you plan on using so there is many factors that make up how u wanna design something.

honestly the fad on this forum and most others is huge box huge port to drop low. its not neccessary but its a way to make it work. as far as port size goes it depends on your application. you can get away with a smaller port if you are unable to get the port length. port length plays a roll on wave travel and all that jazz that torres fails to calculate out

Edited by 2000LaDe
smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

ur panties are in a bunch lately hank

give me another demo and ill go in there and retrieve the vag floss

:drinks:

on a serious note, a common fad/trend thats occuring is people putting way more power into a sub than rated/needed... there seems to be a less and less interested in efficiency of the enclosure, more are worried about what it does on a TL ("i wanna hit a 50 at least," is very common)

back to OP, like hank said every sub is different, the power it sees and the cabin its in should dictate how u manipulate the enclosure to your benefit... at/near tuning the port is doing most of the work, but cone control plays a huge roll in the ability to play below tune frequency... and when the trend is towards huge boxes with huge ports u no longer have the range or control that should be sought out

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg