Mechman Alternators

i have a 270a mechman alt that i just got for my 1999 jeep grand cherokee and i cant make this alternator work. my stock alternator charged at around 13.9v all the time until i turned my system up. this one will not charge at all above 11.0 volts. i have to give up for the evening but i need this thing working tomorrow. i have all 0 guage big three upgrade. i have the voltage boost module also with my alternator. i tried to adjust my alternator but it will not charge above 11.0 volts. my batt is obviously almost dead now because of this. but i dont know what to do. i have checked all my wires and they all seem to be in the right spot. if someone can respond to this i would appreciate it.

Were your batteries fully charged when you installed the alternator? If not the alternator could tightenin up and now you have a bad alternator.

That won't cause a alt to go bad...

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Were your batteries fully charged when you installed the alternator? If not the alternator could tightenin up and now you have a bad alternator.

Actually, if you start a vehicle up on multiple batteries that are low, you could easily overheat the alternator. Our included instructions advice that you should never start a vehicle up until all your batteries are resting at 12.7 volts or higher.

Clearly, the alternator is not turning on. Did you swap the two trigger wires in the adapter harness like the instructions say to?

You have to have voltage to the green wire with the red stripe when the key is in the "ON" position, and no voltage present when the key is in the "OFF" positions. Check that first, my guess is that you do not have the adapter harness pinned out correctly., and the alternator is not getting a turn on remote signal.

• 1 year later...

Actually, if you start a vehicle up on multiple batteries that are low, you could easily overheat the alternator. Our included instructions advice that you should never start a vehicle up until all your batteries are resting at 12.7 volts or higher.

Clearly, the alternator is not turning on. Did you swap the two trigger wires in the adapter harness like the instructions say to?

You have to have voltage to the green wire with the red stripe when the key is in the "ON" position, and no voltage present when the key is in the "OFF" positions. Check that first, my guess is that you do not have the adapter harness pinned out correctly., and the alternator is not getting a turn on remote signal.

Sorry to bump an old thread but what exactly are you supposed to do for cold climate starting, say -30 celcius? My battery voltage is almost always around 11.8-12 in the winter after sitting overnight.

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE
JVC KD-APD49 Headunit
(4) Infinity Kappa 652.9i components @ 2 ohm
(1) Infinity Reference 475a amplifier
(2) Skar Audio V-VXV1 12D4's
Hifonics Brutus 2100.1 @ 1 Ohm

----------------------------------------------
j9cBS.jpgxoGuA.jpg