Sundown Audio

Line driver needed for 1500D?

I just installed a SA 1500D in my truck on 2 IDQ 10s and at 1ohm load the amp is nearly all the way up and it's barely moving the woofers. I took it out an put an orion 5001 (which is 500 at 1 ohm) in an it hit like hell. I know from all the reviews and comments that these are good powerful amps, but I'm not impressed with the output.

My question is do I need a line driver to up the input volts to the amp like you hafta do on the earthquake shredders to make power? This is my first time using a sundown amp so unfamiliar with them.

Thanks, Wil

Are you sure the amp is wired/tuned correctly?

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

What's your head unit and what do you have the LPF at?

Eclipse AVN6620 an the LPF is eighty. The HU is spost to be 8v out

I'm positive on the amp wired correctly and my boss tuned the system. I work at a shop. The only question I have is on the wires, since it's a monoblock amp it shouldn't matter how my speaker leads go in right? It has to speaker connects like a 2 channel but I just wired it to 1 positive/negative or should I have bridged it?

Edited by devilman

haha, bridge it. that always gives me a laugh

is the gain on the amp actually turned up? or are you just messing with the remote gain.

No, I don't have the remote gain hooked up. I turned the gain up and it just doesn't seem to have any power output, even maxed out. I've checked all the settings and they are correct for what we usually do with customers vehicles, but that is with different amps. I wanted to try something different so I got the SA but I can't understand why it's not making power. The cheesy little hypnotic amp I put in there, along with the orion was poundin the crap outta the woofers. That's why I was wondering if it needed a line driver.

I have a SAZ-1500D wired down to 1 ohm running a pair of SA-12's and those mofo's MOVE!!!

And since the IDQ's are way more sensitive/efficient than the SA's, my guess is something is horribly wrong cause those things should be moving nicely too.

What size and type of box do you have them in? But to answer your question, no, you don't need a line driver.

IIRC, doesn't matter how the subs are wired to the amp cause both "channels" are a single channel anyway.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f