Sonic Electronix

Suggestions on entry level system

Sup SMD? I'm fairly new to the whole car audio world and would just like a suggestion on an entry level system from some people who know a lot more about this stuff than I currently do right now. However, I do have a fairly decent knowledge of car audio through random research here and there and talking to people I work with. Saying, that there is still some stuff I have questions on as well. Really the only thing I am curious about right now is the power rating I see when looking at subs. For example, Rockford Fosgate has power ratings written like: "600w RMS 1200w MAX" Is that "MAX" the point where the sub will blow or what? I'm completely ignorant in that department.

Ok back to the topic, I've been looking around (i.e rockford fosgate, pioneer, alpine, JL Audio, stores in my area, and some others) and am wondering what yall think is the best for subs and the best for amps (and cables/wires of course). Also, should I get a prefabricated box or look into making my own? Right now I'm pretty much 100% open to options and will take any criticism seriously.

As for my budget, I won't to keep this under a grand (which I know is more than possible), and I'd prefer not tearing anything up on my car (apart from panels for cables). I have a Scion tC so the trunk space is pretty ample - plenty of room for at least two 12s(which is my preference).

Thanks for the help ahead of time. Peace

I like the oldschool one..

TDHsiggy.png

Current System: Stock 2011 Tahoe

Loud as F**K

Just kidding

I have a buddy with a Tc and he has a Kicker L7 12 sound really good in that car and he has the kicker box that comes with the sub. But i got to say Give rusty a call and pick you up some DC Sound Lab Level 3 12's n a good amp have fun bumpin. Oh yeah, build box not buy.

Chevy Avalanche Z66-BigBlue Edition
Pioneer AVHX2700BS
Cheap dont know brand(Front)
2 Cadence 6.5"CVL midbass (Rear)
2 78 series Autocraft Gold Batteries
Stinger Battery Iso.
New Mechman 270 amp alternator
Lanzar OPTI4000D
Jbl 75.2
DC SoundLab Level 5 18
Lots of 1/0 and 4 gauge wires
Few 250/150 amp fuses
Oriental Blue House of Kolors Candy Paint
18" ION alloy 179/Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/70R18
z66Sig.png

2 dc lvl 3 12's, aq 1200, some knukonceptz wire, biuld your own box, call it a day.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

Really the only thing I am curious about right now is the power rating I see when looking at subs. For example, Rockford Fosgate has power ratings written like: "600w RMS 1200w MAX" Is that "MAX" the point where the sub will blow or what? I'm completely ignorant in that department.

no; it will not "blow up" at 1201 watts. but, being as you are a self-proclaimed noob; i'd stick to the lower end of the power range, to keep you safe from over-driving whatever speaker you are running. just my opinion. and if you think you can; build your own box.

Clicky for build log....

2002 Tahoe

DC Power Inc 3 alt bracket with 2x230a. alts 1 stock

Eclipse CD5030

2 JL HD 600/4

4 Rockford Fosgate 2500bdcp's

4 DC Audio 18" XL's

4 Pr MB Quart Premium Components

200FT Stinger HPM 1/0

Rockford 360.2

No where near enough sound deadening

yeah either rusty for dc woofers or ed lester for t3 audio they are both on this forum and both great subs....knu wire is way to go and def build your own box or have someone with experience build you one and if you get a t3 t.600 sub or dc level 3 an alpine mrp-m500 is a good cheap amp

Edited by armyranger3858

Holden, Alex K - I looked at those earlier and now that both of you suggested them, I'm starting to like them more and more. Living near a dealer (sound of tristate), they shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of either. Thanks

pthrift - Didn't think so. Yeah I'm definitely not trying to have some ultra high wattage system. Just something I can call my own.

TDHsiggy.png

Loud as F**K

Just kidding

agreeing with the others, if u can build your own box, do it.

1- it ends up better (if you know how to do it)

2- you can tune it to what ever you want

3- no one else will have a box the same as yours, so its unique

unique is good!

Honda Accord SirT + Mad sounds = Awesomeness

VTEC go BRAAAAAPPPP :P

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141261-99-accord-sirt-sq-build/

Alright well i never done the big 3 so i see in my vision my truck on fire...

Alright, I'll definitely look into building my own box. Gotta figure out the whole tuning and port thing though.

TDHsiggy.png

Loud as F**K

Just kidding

Alright, I'll definitely look into building my own box. Gotta figure out the whole tuning and port thing though.

Depending on the subs you buy, look in the installation manual. It will give a simple ported or sealed box design, usually with a round port, simple enough to make, and it's the ideal tune/volume for the sub, as recommended by the manufacturer. Another option is a pre fabricated box, which everyone on here will bitch about, so don't go with a best buy one for instance, but check around on the internet, there are a lot of boxes available, just make sure you choose a decent one, like one recommended by the sub manufacturer. Everyone is so against pre fab boxes but the truth is if your completely new to this, you'll probably be better off with a professionally made box.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!