How To Properly Fuse Amps and Rear Batteries

Did it Help  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did this Guide Help You?

• Yes - Thanks :D
    • No - Still Confused :( (Post Why So I Can Help)
    • Didn't Need the Help (Already Know How)
    • I am stupid! Why am I here?

This is a picture I made to help all those who have trouble on adding a rear battery or fusing stuff.

batterysetup.jpg

As far as the alternator Fusing goes, I have seen some people not fuse this, and some fuse it. As far as I see it, if that fuse blows, its because that wire shorted or is about to burn up, and if that is going to happen your battery is going to discharge like a MOFO, which could cause it to explode or set fire. You are better off only destroying the battery by fully discharging it as you drive, after the fuse blew, then to have your battery set fire. If it were me, I would also fuse next to the alternator just in case it shorts the wire, that way your alternator isn't driven into a full on load way higher then it could take. Either way, I have seen people not fuse this wire at all, and some fuse it. If you do fuse it, do it to what your wiring can take, and fuse it the highest that the wiring can take. Don't be afraid to run more then one wire for any of these wires, as the more wiring the less resistance.

If you have any comments on making this better let me know!! Hope this helps all of those who need it!

The normal setup picture you have, the fuse next to the amp is not doing anything, the fuse up by the battery will protect the amp, the second one is a waste.

An amp should always having some kind of fusing PERIOD. If an amp does not have built in fusing you need to add one at the amp no questions asked. It is the way it is.

Don't go against the manufacture and the manufacture wants some type of fusing for the amp also if you are running more than 1 amp then the fuse up front is going to be a lot larger then the recommended fuse for the amplifier its self.

If your amp or amps do not have built in fusing then you add a fuse rite before the amp. PERIOD no ifs ands or butts about it.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

This is a picture I made to help all those who have trouble on adding a rear battery or fusing stuff.

batterysetup.jpg

As far as the alternator Fusing goes, I have seen some people not fuse this, and some fuse it. As far as I see it, if that fuse blows, its because that wire shorted or is about to burn up, and if that is going to happen your battery is going to discharge like a MOFO, which could cause it to explode or set fire. You are better off only destroying the battery by fully discharging it as you drive, after the fuse blew, then to have your battery set fire. If it were me, I would also fuse next to the alternator just in case it shorts the wire, that way your alternator isn't driven into a full on load way higher then it could take. Either way, I have seen people not fuse this wire at all, and some fuse it. If you do fuse it, do it to what your wiring can take, and fuse it the highest that the wiring can take. Don't be afraid to run more then one wire for any of these wires, as the more wiring the less resistance.

If you have any comments on making this better let me know!! Hope this helps all of those who need it!

The normal setup picture you have, the fuse next to the amp is not doing anything, the fuse up by the battery will protect the amp, the second one is a waste.

An amp should always having some kind of fusing PERIOD. If an amp does not have built in fusing you need to add one at the amp no questions asked. It is the way it is.

Don't go against the manufacture and the manufacture wants some type of fusing for the amp also if you are running more than 1 amp then the fuse up front is going to be a lot larger then the recommended fuse for the amplifier its self.

If your amp or amps do not have built in fusing then you add a fuse rite before the amp. PERIOD no ifs ands or butts about it.

I agree, a lot of people kept commenting saying its not necessary, but I think it is, protects the amp from any weirdness :D

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

I don't agree at all, but thanks for your opinion.

if you're running a 4ga cable, with an 80amp fuse at the battery at the front of the car, no rear battery, to an amplifier that rated at 4x100watts, 1000watt mono, or something similar, why would you fuse just before the amp?

The inline fuse next to the amp has to do with the amp blowing. I have had amps blow on me that have took out the fuses in the amp and never touched the main inline fuse.

I have capacitors blow up inside of amps and mosfets or woofers blow up and negativly affect the output section of the amp.

Its not an opinion but at the same time its not a fact, there is a big grey area there. I guess a person wouldn't understand unless they have installed a few hundred amps in there time.

The built in or inline fuse at the amp has more to do with protection incase the output section of the amp gives out.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

The inline fuse next to the amp has to do with the amp blowing. I have had amps blow on me that have took out the fuses in the amp and never touched the main inline fuse.

I have capacitors blow up inside of amps and mosfets or woofers blow up and negativly affect the output section of the amp.

Its not an opinion but at the same time its not a fact, there is a big grey area there. I guess a person wouldn't understand unless they have installed a few hundred amps in there time.

The built in or inline fuse at the amp has more to do with protection incase the output section of the amp gives out.

and the fuse at the battery will protect the amplifier just as much as the fuses in the amplifier would if the fuse and cable are rated for the amplifier.

This is why you have to have real world experience because you would not feel this way if you had dealt with amplifiers blowing up in different stages and for different reasons.

I'm not going to argue.

This is the way it is and every manufacture will agree with me.

Simply put you have not seen enough amps blow up to understand. Get more experience.

Terryswork001.png

This is why you have to have real world experience because you would not feel this way if you had dealt with amplifiers blowing up in different stages and for different reasons.

I'm not going to argue.

Simply put you have not seen enough amps blow up to understand. Get more experience.

more experience with blowing up amps? lmao.

not sure thats something you should be bragging about.

it seems you have some understanding, but clearly not enough.

why is it that you think 80amps worth of fuses at the amplifier will blow before an 80amp fuse at the battery?

I'm not going to argue.

more experience with blowing up amps? lmao.

not sure thats something you should be bragging about.

it seems you have some understanding, but clearly not enough.

why is it that you think 80amps worth of fuses at the amplifier will blow before an 80amp fuse at the battery?

Number 1 I was an installer smart ass. amps blowing up is part of the territory. They even blow up when they are brand new out of the box, never installed before.

I feel this away because I have personally dealt with fuse blowing in the amp and not taking out the inline fuse.

(only 1 example)I had a brand new sundown amp that kept blowing fuses because it was damaged from the factory and those fuses blowing saved other components in my setup.

Not to mention if the propper fuses are used they will blow faster than big ANL fuses and that is another aspect.

Look the whole idea of fusing has to do with keeping the damage as limited as possible when a component fails.

I'm, late wil;l be back tonight.

Someone else school this guy for me.

Terryswork001.png

Number 1 I was an installer smart ass. amps blowing up is part of the territory. They even blow up when they are brand new out of the box, never installed before.

I feel this away because I have personally dealt with fuse blowing in the amp and not taking out the inline fuse.

(only 1 example)I had a brand new sundown amp that kept blowing fuses because it was damaged from the factory and those fuses blowing saved other components in my setup.

Not to mention if the propper fuses are used they will blow faster than big ANL fuses and that is another aspect.

Look the whole idea of fusing has to do with keeping the damage as limited as possible when a component fails.

I'm, late wil;l be back tonight.

Someone else school this guy for me.

clearly an installer to be avoided it would seem.

you still didn't answer my question though.

"why is it that you think 80amps worth of fuses at the amplifier will blow before an 80amp fuse at the battery?"

I don't give a crap that the fuses in the amplifier blew before the main fuse that wasn't the same rating as the fuse in the amplifier.

its a simple question really.

as I said already "if you're running a 4ga cable, with an 80amp fuse at the battery at the front of the car, no rear battery, to an amplifier that rated at 4x100watts, 1000watt mono, or something similar, why would you fuse just before the amp?"

Helpful little read.

It wasn't clearly mentioned before, so I will take the honors. The fuse is there to protect the wire and only the wire. The size of the fuse is determined by the capacity of the wire.

In the second diagram with the single battery install. The second fuse by the amp does nothing. If you amp messes up/blows it is pretty certain that it will send DC voltage to your speakers and kill them too. :( Unfortunate fact. If the amp has some sort of built in protection for that with fuses on the amp, cool. If it doesn't, don't think that by adding an external fuse by the amp is going to save your speakers.

Archived