How To Properly Fuse Amps and Rear Batteries

Did it Help  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did this Guide Help You?

• Yes - Thanks :D
    • No - Still Confused :( (Post Why So I Can Help)
    • Didn't Need the Help (Already Know How)
    • I am stupid! Why am I here?

i never fuse my amps...just at the battery :peepwall:

if the amp comes with a fuse on it, cool. If not, it dont get one......i dont see the point.

well Mr Meade, you're clearly doing it wrong, ISO says so, with no intelligent argument to back it up, just because he says so. <_<

I've blown fuses in amps without actually damaging the amp, 1 ohm per channel on a 2x80watt amp burping two 8inch woofers, I replaced the 25amp fuse with a piece of wire.

problem solved!

I do have a reputation on here, you don't.

I feel strongly about my point of view and Steve feels strongly about his point of view. Neither are rite or wrong, its the way we each perceive the situation.

I can't and won't ever send one of my installs out into the world without following the manufactures guide lines. (to much liability)

(My immature moment)

Now that this is over I have to get this off my chest.

FUCK YOU I hate you more then you will ever know. Be happy you got my blood pressure to go through the roof, its rare for me to hate someone that I hate as much as you.

You actually got under my skin.

FUCK YOU :)

EDIT: I done with this thread. END THREAD

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

I feel strongly about my point of view and Steve feels strongly about his point of view. Neither are rite or wrong, its the way we each perceive the situation.

I can't and won't ever send one of my installs out into the world without following the manufactures guide lines.

(My immature moment)

FUCK YOU I hate you more then you will ever know. Be happy you got my blood pressure to go through the roof, its rare for me to hate someone that I hate as much as you.

the only reputation you've got is for giving wrong information.

you really can't even have an intelligent argument at all can you?

I'm still waiting for your explanation as to why you think an 80amp fuse at the amplifier will provide more protection than an 80amp fuse at the battery, because no one else is agreeing with this, and why would they? its just illogical.

I can't and won't ever send one of my installs out into the world without following the manufactures guide lines.

(My immature moment)

the only reputation you've got is for giving wrong information.

you really can't even have an intelligent argument at all can you?

I'm still waiting for your explanation as to why you think an 80amp fuse at the amplifier will provide more protection than an 80amp fuse at the battery, because no one else is agreeing with this, and why would they? its just illogical.

I agree with ISO, I also agree with how he feels about you!! Although I respect meade and his opinions, I still think it should be fused, most probably get by with no fusing, but if that line gets shorted, who knows what will happen, that fuse may save the day, it may not...... but I can say this, you my sir have been an ignorant prick since you have joined this forum, going into every thread like you are mr know it FUCKING all...... many people do this stuff for a living, many do it for fun, and many of them know what they are doing, but all you can fucking say is everyone is wrong! fuses do not harm anything......

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

i really think theydont just loves arguing. all he does is say how people are wrong and hes right dam. do you need a fuse at the amp no. but its just a little extra protection. mabey music cant afford a 10$ fuse holder?

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

I agree with ISO, I also agree with how he feels about you!! Although I respect meade and his opinions, I still think it should be fused, most probably get by with no fusing, but if that line gets shorted, who knows what will happen, that fuse may save the day, it may not...... but I can say this, you my sir have been an ignorant prick since you have joined this forum, going into every thread like you are mr know it FUCKING all...... many people do this stuff for a living, many do it for fun, and many of them know what they are doing, but all you can fucking say is everyone is wrong! fuses do not harm anything......

you didn't even read whats being discussed, did you.

80amp fuse at the battery.

4ga cable to a single amp.

no fuse at the amp, nor in the amp.

VS

80amp fuse at the battery.

4ga cable to a single amp.

80amps worth of fusing in the amp/at the amp.

why do you think the second option is any safer? it makes zero difference!

I don't think everyones wrong, fortunately there are some people on here intelligent enough to know whats right!

This is right from the audio guide of the internet, this guy is an expert.... My favorite Quote

"WHEN you're thinking of replacing a blown fuse with a higher rated fuse ask yourself if you know more than the engineer who designed the equipment."

Link to the Page

"

This is ABSOLUTELY THE most important page on this site!

fusesymbol.gif

Fuses: I've been in the electronics repair business since about 1986 and have come to believe that most people don't understand the function of a fuse, or they just like to let the smoke out of electronic devices (transistors, resistors...).

Note: Letting the smoke out of an electronic device is a process which converts a useful piece of electronic equipment into a paper weight.

Function: A fuse is generally inserted into an electrical circuit for 1 of 2 reasons, either to protect the power source which includes the wire that connects the power supply to the electrical device, or to protect the electronic equipment. The electronic equipment manufacturers specify a fuse rated to open the electrical circuit before damage can be done to the device or open the circuit if the electronic device fails in some way (electronic devices may pull excessive current when they fail). If a fuse larger than the specified fuse is used, a small mistake when installing the equipment may cause catastrophic failure of the equipment. WHEN, not if, WHEN you're thinking of replacing a blown fuse with a higher rated fuse ask yourself if you know more than the engineer who designed the equipment. Don't get in a hurry when installing electronic equipment. Take the time to go get the right fuse. 50 cents for a fuse is better than $50 labor plus the cost of the replacement parts for a repair job.

"

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

then why do some amps have fuses in the amp? whats the point if you have a fuse by the main battery?

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

then why do some amps have fuses in the amp? whats the point if you have a fuse by the main battery?

because quite often people will run multiple amplifiers from the single power cable, this isn't what I'm talking about.

as I already said, if you're running a single amp, and the fuse at the front is suitably sized, you don't need a fuse at the amp.

we really are going around in circles here aren't we.

the fuse on the cable is to stop your car from catching fire if the cable shorts out.

because quite often people will run multiple amplifiers from the single power cable, this isn't what I'm talking about.

as I already said, if you're running a single amp, and the fuse at the front is suitably sized, you don't need a fuse at the amp.

we really are going around in circles here aren't we.

the fuse on the cable is to stop your car from catching fire if the cable shorts out.

here is my reasoning, most people dont have an amplifier that has the exact fusing needs as the wire that is being run to it, sure you can fuse a wire lower then what it is designed for, but most of the time you will fuse the wire for its maximum safe potential. Therefore the fuse in the amp is designed to protect the amp if there is excessive amperage allowed through since the front fuse is set for the wires potential. Many people may run 0 gauge wire to get a better voltage in the rear of the vehicle, since a thicker wire will reduce the resistance, but they may not need the increased amperage. This is why you would fuse at the amp for the maximum safe level that the amp can take, therefor protecting it from excessive amperage levels that may occur if the amp has some kind of internal short.

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

Archived