How To Properly Fuse Amps and Rear Batteries

Did it Help  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did this Guide Help You?

• Yes - Thanks :D
    • No - Still Confused :( (Post Why So I Can Help)
    • Didn't Need the Help (Already Know How)
    • I am stupid! Why am I here?

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I thought I should point something out. ISO and the kicker guy mentioned that the first fuse would blow faster. Well they are correct... barely. According to my research dc current travels at 96% of the speed of light in an unshielded copper conductor. So 96% of 299,792,458 m/s is 287,800,759.68 meters per second. So theoretically the first fuse (17 feet or 5 meters away ) would blow 5/287800759.68 m/s 1.737312995823709e-8 seconds before the one in the front blew. I really doubt that makes a difference lol. AMI CUSTOMS, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: and no I am not a troll. I am a regular at carstereo.com and ROE. Just have this account for reading threads occasionally.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

why do i need 2 fuses going to the amp??

long story short

first fuse must be place within the first 18" of battery (the closer the better)

this fuse can not exceed the amp rated current draw of the wire, it has nothing to do with what amplifiers or batteries are to be used further down the line, it is there to stop the wire getting damaged or causing damage

the second fuse, put as close to the amplifer as possible, is to protect the amp, it is normally a lower rated fuse, closer to the amplifers require needs, as it will blow faster, due to being a lower rating, it is there to procect the amplifer, not the wireing,

this chart is rated a no more then 3% voltage drop @ 12v

wire-1.png

for example 4g wire is rate @ 80-90amps, but in most installed of 20-25feet, it can only do 40-50amp before the voltage drops below 3%@12v

so you average 600rms amp will run fine on this with a 50-60amp fuse at amp, but youll need an 80-90amp at battery to protect the wire,

What happens if I use a fuse that is too large? I have a 200 amp in line fuse to my second battery and a 200 amp circuit breaker to my amp but my truck has an OEM fuse block that attaches my starter and main fuse board. The original 175 amp fuse blew but I ordered some new 175 amp fuses and got sent 300 amp fuses instead. I ended up using them and they work fine but I'm not sure what might happen by using different size fuses. My mechanic said the 175 amp OEM fuse is likely too small since I added a 1500 watt amp.

Vehicle: 2007 GMC Denali

Headunit: Pioneer AVH-8400BH

Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp

Sub: Ascendant Audio Havoc 12"

Electrical: Big 3, Dual Batteries, Stock 160-amp alternator

Wiring: RF 0 gauge

Box: Custom built 1.89^3 net

why do i need 2 fuses going to the amp??

long story short

first fuse must be place within the first 18" of battery (the closer the better)

this fuse can not exceed the amp rated current draw of the wire, it has nothing to do with what amplifiers or batteries are to be used further down the line, it is there to stop the wire getting damaged or causing damage

the second fuse, put as close to the amplifer as possible, is to protect the amp, it is normally a lower rated fuse, closer to the amplifers require needs, as it will blow faster, due to being a lower rating, it is there to procect the amplifer, not the wireing,

this chart is rated a no more then 3% voltage drop @ 12v

for example 4g wire is rate @ 80-90amps, but in most installed of 20-25feet, it can only do 40-50amp before the voltage drops below 3%@12v

so you average 600rms amp will run fine on this with a 50-60amp fuse at amp, but youll need an 80-90amp at battery to protect the wire,

Why would you bump this thread???? Look at the date of his post

Edit: And he's banned too

Archived