The official guns and stuff shoot the breeze thread

Ok guys so I want a bolt gun, my budget isn't super high, my wife is gifting me about 200 I didn't know she had set aside, we run a pretty tight budget but by the end of January either of the following rifles will be in my range. I am looking at either 30-06 or 300 win mag. I'm not set on either hard core but after reading reviews other than the stock both of these rifles seem to be like good entry level rifles. If I am wrong please tell me.

I know the popular thing is AR's right now but a bolt gun is what I'm wanting. Not going to use it for hunting. Just target, ultimately I would love to stretch out to 1k yds (500 will be my fist goal then farther after time). I understand that with the higher powder loads and heaven grain bullets that the win mag will do better in wind. So what are your thoughts?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/78136/savage_11_trophy_hunter_xp_300_win_mag_wnikon_3-9x40

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/90729/redirect

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200 woud have me hitting up pawn shops and gun shops that have a good used inventory. I just (couple months ago) picked up a Savage model 10 in 7mm Rem Mag for $350.00 from a guy wanting to get his old lady a ring for christmas.

Pawn shops and gun shops around here are getting stupid deals on guns. Mostly from people who went out on a gun panic spending sprees trying to recoup some of that investment. I picked up a near new SLR 107 for $600.00 last year from a guy who was going to lose his car. Turned out no revolution started and he actually had to pay all that credit off...

200 woud have me hitting up pawn shops and gun shops that have a good used inventory. I just (couple months ago) picked up a Savage model 10 in 7mm Rem Mag for $350.00 from a guy wanting to get his old lady a ring for christmas.

Pawn shops and gun shops around here are getting stupid deals on guns. Mostly from people who went out on a gun panic spending sprees trying to recoup some of that investment. I picked up a near new SLR 107 for $600.00 last year from a guy who was going to lose his car. Turned out no revolution started and he actually had to pay all that credit off...

I can check them out but only one local carries firearms and they charge more than new price for beat to shit stuff usually lol

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

I would definitely look into the 300 Win Mag for 1k yard shooting... Seems to be a very popular/flat shooting round at that range...

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

I wouldn't. For one you have to feed it. For two you have to have that skill and the gear. You need to be one hell of a shooter to make it to 1k and the glass and gun probably aren't going to be capable of that off the rack.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I wouldn't. For one you have to feed it. For two you have to have that skill and the gear. You need to be one hell of a shooter to make it to 1k and the glass and gun probably aren't going to be capable of that off the rack.

I would hope that he is aware of that.. I took it as he was looking for a project gun to build up over time

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

I would definitely look into the 300 Win Mag for 1k yard shooting... Seems to be a very popular/flat shooting round at that range...

That's kind of the consensus I came to between the calibers, that the win mag will probably reach further overall.

I realize that I won't be able to open the box and hit 1k (honestly I wouldn't imagine even walking a target out that far within the first year probably), my first major goals will be tights groups at 100, 250, and then 500. I figured that between the glass and stock much more than that is really going to be pushing it at first. And then I looked at ammo prices, I didn't realize that win mag is almost double what 3006 is. Which since it is the cheaper rifle that is that much more I can spend on ammo lol.

I would hope that he is aware of that.. I took it as he was looking for a project gun to build up over time

See above lol, and yes kind of a project also a let's see what I can really push the limits too.

Besides in today's market the next best thing could be right around the corner, so I think by waiting and really getting myself dialed in it A) gives me an opportunity to find other brands/options/calibers and B) gives me more time to just buy another gun that will without a doubt go out to those ranges lol

And as far as where to shoot my parents place has almost a mile stretch I can shoot down with a natural rise in the earth at the end so that is a non issue

Don't discount 7mm Rem Mag. I've seen some consistant long range shots with store bought (factory match) ammo.And with hand loads?...

Don't discount 7mm Rem Mag. I've seen some consistant long range shots with store bought (factory match) ammo.And with hand loads?...

I didn't I just know when I asked about 300 vs 7mm Mag on another gun forum I am on for a hard hitting LR bolt gun everyone pretty much discredited the 7mm which confused me... I have a 7mm WSM not sure if it's remotely close to the Rem mag but I love it

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Archived