Second Skin Audio

can i build sub box with hard wood instead of mdf?

thinking of making a box out of ash,cherry, or some other type of hard wood...the box will be made by panels so will this be safe to do? for those who dont know what i mean by panel the box walls will be made up of multiple small boards glued together to form a one of the walls of the box. then the panel will edge jointed, cut to be square and then planed to desired thickness

thinking of making a box out of ash,cherry, or some other type of hard wood...the box will be made by panels so will this be safe to do? for those who dont know what i mean by panel the box walls will be made up of multiple small boards glued together to form a one of the walls of the box. then the panel will edge jointed, cut to be square and then planed to desired thickness

as a cabinet maker of 12 years i am one of the very few here who are qualified to even think about your question.....

id say go for it. the enclosure will have a far superior resonance and tonal response than mdf, and be stronger as well, as long as you do your joints correctly. i am very interested in seeing what you come up with. for a stiff enclosure, hickory would be optimal. for tonal response, poplar is great.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

as a cabinet maker of 12 years i am one of the very few here who are qualified to even think about your question.....

id say go for it. the enclosure will have a far superior resonance and tonal response than mdf, and be stronger as well, as long as you do your joints correctly. i am very interested in seeing what you come up with. for a stiff enclosure, hickory would be optimal. for tonal response, poplar is great.

birtch does the trick too

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

birtch does the trick too

birch is good in the plywood world. we are talking hardwoods here..... birch ply is a whole different thing. birch ply isnt great for boxes, but its better than mdf. birch hardwood kinda sucks for boxes.

Edited by Hugh G. Rection

Owner of BigAss Ports

alright so hickory and poplar any other hard woods that are great to build boxes with i already have some ash and cherry. how are those two?

alright so hickory and poplar any other hard woods that are great to build boxes with i already have some ash and cherry. how are those two?

ash has a great resonance to it, which is why its used in a majority of the stringed instruments produced these days. hickory isnt so much of a tone wood, its just fuckin' strong.

Owner of BigAss Ports

ash has a great resonance to it, which is why its used in a majority of the stringed instruments produced these days. hickory isnt so much of a tone wood, its just fuckin' strong.

alright i think im gonna go with the ash but how is cherry as far as resonance and tonal response go

alright i think im gonna go with the ash but how is cherry as far as resonance and tonal response go

i dont know about the cherry. i know it smells great when you cut it.

edit - just a note, when your working with that ash, be careful to look for checks in the wood. they can be hard to see in ash.

Edited by Hugh G. Rection

Owner of BigAss Ports

i have a feeling this will be an expensive ass box build.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.