Sonic Electronix

no i was talking about the square root of watts x ohms (resistance)= voltage

Get your voltage then hook your amp up to a dmm and turn the gain until you get the same voltage as the formula gives you. This definitely isnt the best way to set your amp but you asked how to figure out how you know when your subs are getting x amount of wattage.

If i was you wi wouldnt worry about getting exactly 800 watts, just set the amp so its giving good clean power and if its only 650 watts i doubt you could tell the difference between that and 800 watts.

edit: Still have to run a 40-50 hz test tone signal to set it with a dmm

Edited by JustinWillmon

So i don't need a shop to set my gains. Just turn it till when.. how will i know if it's a good clean power without clipping. I am prob making this more difficult that it has to be im sorry. So what good is the shop if im adjusting the gains myself. To see if it's clipping or not but how would i tell if it's clipping when im setting my gains.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Im not saying dont use the shop, i would definitely use the o-scope over this method or buy steve's new distortion detector and do it yourself.

You asked how to know how many watts your subs are getting and that formula is simply one way to do it, although i cant gurantee you wouldnt be clipping as im not there to see your system or hear it. In no way am i saying that this formula should replace using an o-scope or anything like that i was simply giving a formula for you to see how many watts your subs are getting if you want.

Edited by JustinWillmon

In your case though i would let a shop do it, or even find someone on here close that knows what there doing that would be willing to help you out to save some cash. Not trying to be a dick but i would hate for you to blow your equipment by messing with the gain knob

No man i totally agree, that's why im asking, im asking how it's set and things so i can learn and spread the information with friends around here to farther my knowledge, but the shop should be able to set my gains correct. I know theres a few people here that live near me, in Fresno Cali.

Check out my build log:

Yeah out in Cali I'm sure there should be lots of help. If I was you though like I said I wouldn't necessarily be worried about your subs getting x amount of watts. Have the proper electrical to back uo that dc equipment and get your gains set with either a o-scope or if you or someone out In Cali buys or let's use you steves new distortion detector you should be plenty happy with your setup.

Yeah well i think i just got smarter here, With the O-scope it detects clipping, so they hook it up to my system with the gain ALL the way down, slowly bring it up till it shows it's clipping once they see that they back it down so it's not clipping anymore with my head unit at about 3/4ths the volume. Did i get it right :D

Check out my build log:

OH and theeeeen they will lower it even more if it's needed to match up with the rms of the subs. SO just in case lets say a sub is 300watts rms and the amp is putting out 900 without clipping they will lower the gain even more so it matchs the subs rms even tho it can cleanly put out 900

Check out my build log: