My SMD DD-1 Just Arrived!

Well love the DD-1 so far just sad now that I know I need to get a head unit. I hooked the DD-1 up to the head unit first at 40Hz and about lvl 3 on the volume the distortion light came and no signal light. So I tried a -db no go either so I tried 1kHz worked fine. So then I tried from the amp same results 40Hz bad 1kHz ok up to lvl 28 of 35 not the best but probably cause I have a factory head unit with a cheap Wal-Mart high to low converter. So it is either converter or the head unit probably the converter but I need a new head unit anyways. I tried on my other car on a JVC head unit and worked great both 40Hz-1kHz where 48 of 50. Looking forward to redoing my car as time/money permits and seeing what good sound really is since I thought my crap that I now know is bad sounded great. I know now why I never could set it with the TPI-440 and the shine-wave was always crazy. Thanks again Steve, Tony, and Juan for a great product, looking forward to the CC-1 and if not too pricey the AD-1 to play with. :drinks:

Those line level converters are really starting to show their ugly heads with the DD-1. Some of them distort the low frequencies pretty bad. Someone needs to invent a proper one. Hmm

orly3.gif I CAN ALREADY SEE IT COMING yahoo.gif

Headunit - Pioneer AVH-P4250 DVD

4 - infinity reference 6.5

a pair of infinity reference tweeters

1 - AudioQue AQ-120.4 amplifier for mids & highs

1 - AudioQue AQ-2200D Monoblock

1 - AudioQue HDC315

KitAudio kerf ported Enclosure

4 - Stinger pro series signal wires

20ft Stinger 1/0Ga power & Ground wires

Big Three Upgrade

1 - Kinetik HC1800 (Not Here yet . .Still Saving up for one)

Well love the DD-1 so far just sad now that I know I need to get a head unit. I hooked the DD-1 up to the head unit first at 40Hz and about lvl 3 on the volume the distortion light came and no signal light. So I tried a -db no go either so I tried 1kHz worked fine. So then I tried from the amp same results 40Hz bad 1kHz ok up to lvl 28 of 35 not the best but probably cause I have a factory head unit with a cheap Wal-Mart high to low converter. So it is either converter or the head unit probably the converter but I need a new head unit anyways. I tried on my other car on a JVC head unit and worked great both 40Hz-1kHz where 48 of 50. Looking forward to redoing my car as time/money permits and seeing what good sound really is since I thought my crap that I now know is bad sounded great. I know now why I never could set it with the TPI-440 and the shine-wave was always crazy. Thanks again Steve, Tony, and Juan for a great product, looking forward to the CC-1 and if not too pricey the AD-1 to play with. :drinks:

Those line level converters are really starting to show their ugly heads with the DD-1. Some of them distort the low frequencies pretty bad. Someone needs to invent a proper one. Hmm

Ok so I got a new HU and I know you get what you pay for :bull:, but now the 1kHz will not light even though the amp, I have tryed the -tones also and just to see what happens I max out the gains still nothing. The 40Hz works fine it is the HU is just too cheap? I say this because the amp has the imput voltage switch 2-6v 3 places low being 0.2V-0.6V middle 0.6-2V and 2V-8V being high. The HU puts out or says 2.5v so I put on 2v the light comes on 30-50 at 40Hz. I think that is bad, now if I use the 0.6-2V I get 40-50 not bad but not good, if I use 0.2V-0.6V I get 48-50 great but no bass just trebble. Ok so I said all that to get to this I know its prob the HU just want some opinions. I can use my TPI-440 starting from the lowest 0.2V-0.6V upping gain, then 0.6-2V, then 2V-8V around halfway before shine wave squares off so I know there power to be made. I just want to know if its the HU is that bad or if I am not doing something with the DD-1. Also if Steve or someone would like to make a video of how to properly set gains on a amp that has the voltage switch for the DD-1 and maybe o-scope as well that would be nice. Also I can hear the 1kHz change in tone when it distorts/clips but no light

IMG_20111210_105713.jpg

Edited by Wolf4Life

Ok so I got a new HU and I know you get what you pay for :bull:, but now the 1kHz will not light even though the amp, I have tryed the -tones also and just to see what happens I max out the gains still nothing. The 40Hz works fine it is the HU is just too cheap? I say this because the amp has the imput voltage switch 2-6v 3 places low being 0.2V-0.6V middle 0.6-2V and 2V-8V being high. The HU puts out or says 2.5v so I put on 2v the light comes on 30-50 at 40Hz. I think that is bad, now if I use the 0.6-2V I get 40-50 not bad but not good, if I use 0.2V-0.6V I get 48-50 great but no bass just trebble. Ok so I said all that to get to this I know its prob the HU just want some opinions. I can use my TPI-440 starting from the lowest 0.2V-0.6V upping gain, then 0.6-2V, then 2V-8V around halfway before shine wave squares off so I know there power to be made. I just want to know if its the HU is that bad or if I am not doing something with the DD-1. Also if Steve or someone would like to make a video of how to properly set gains on a amp that has the voltage switch for the DD-1 and maybe o-scope as well that would be nice. Also I can hear the 1kHz change in tone when it distorts/clips but no light

IMG_20111210_105713.jpg

Ok I am now starting to think the DD-1 is to awsome and if the light don't come on or they stay on there is a good chance your HU or something in the line may not be bad but isn't good either. After seeing this with the o-scope I am going to say the HU is :bull::nea: I kinda liked it. If I didn't have the o-scope to confirm I don't know that I would of fully trusted the DD-1 acting strange but I now know if the DD-1 is acting up its because something is wrong just need to find where. 1st is at 14 vol 2nd at 40 vol.

IMG_20111210_133238.jpg

IMG_20111210_133259.jpg

The HU is like putting out just distorted crap this was off the low lvl from the HU not the amp, so the amp is out of question now.

Edited by Wolf4Life

yeah I'm picking one these up in the next month or two, rebuilding with more power and better subs and I wanna make sure I get right and blow my shit!!

nice buy! :good:

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sony 712

Soundqubed HDS208

Alpine MRV-M500

Transmission line enclosure

Soundqubed wiring

Knu rca

XS Power battery

CNF terminals

IMG_20111210_105713.jpg

Ok I am now starting to think the DD-1 is to awsome and if the light don't come on or they stay on there is a good chance your HU or something in the line may not be bad but isn't good either. After seeing this with the o-scope I am going to say the HU is :bull::nea: I kinda liked it. If I didn't have the o-scope to confirm I don't know that I would of fully trusted the DD-1 acting strange but I now know if the DD-1 is acting up its because something is wrong just need to find where. 1st is at 14 vol 2nd at 40 vol.

IMG_20111210_133238.jpg

IMG_20111210_133259.jpg

The HU is like putting out just distorted crap this was off the low lvl from the HU not the amp, so the amp is out of question now.

Moved to new topic since this was about getting the DD-1 don't want to get too off topic..

DD-1 Issue or or Amp Issue?