This is done on a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee ( WJ 1999-2004 ) but may or may not work for other vehicles with a similar attachment style.

I wanted to put HID headlights and LED blinkers and driving lights in but on these vehicles you can't get to them without removing the housings. I searched how to remove the housings and found that all you have to do is remove the long bold on top and then PULL TO DISENGAGE THE BALL STUDS FROM THERE SOCKETS that are on the backside. I put that in caps because this is where the problem lies.

If your headlights have this ball and socket type attachment and have not been out since the vehicle was made (like mine most likely), or in a really long time, yours can be stuck in there really hard. I have searched and nobody had a solution to this else where. If herd of people breaking the front plastic assembly that holds the grill headlights and etc from pulling that hard. I've also heard of people removing there bumper and grill to get at them from the backside (I was not about to set aside down time for this).

Jeep%2520Light.jpg

What happens is the ball studs on the back of the headlight are made of metal and corrode binding it in the plastic socket. Yes they bind that hard. When I was pulling on mine the the whole front plastic assembly was flexing So I did some investigating and was able to see 2 of the 3 sockets on the backside where the yellow arrows point

From the backside right to left

Jeep%25252520Light%25252520Socket.jpg

Jeep%2520Light%2520Socket%25202.jpg

What I did:

1: Got penetrating oil (WD-40) with the straw attachment

2: Set the straw on the sockets

3: Slowly depress the nozzle so it just comes out (so it doesn't splatter everywhere)

4: Let it soak for 30 minutes

5: Repeat steps 2-4, two-? more times (until you get the headlight out)

6: Once the headlight was out I took a green scotch brite pad with penetrating oil and scrubbed the ball studs really good.

7: Apply a THIN layer of grease to prevent future problems

This process will break down the rust and allow lubrication to get into the socket. After three coats on the driver side it popped out like a brand new vehicle the passenger side took double or triple wasn't really counting. Now if you need them out right now and have the time you can remove the entire bumper etc in order to get them out. I thought this was a good alternative to that or breaking something though.

This was my first right up so I hope it's easy to follow. This might be more common of a problem in snowy area's where they salt roads, like WI where I am.

"The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything" -Theodore Roosevelt