Sonic Electronix

So I have a 1000Watt Class D Kenwood Monoblock and when I'm bassing really hard and hitting low notes my amp shuts off. I took it to a local car audio store and they looked at it and said that the volts at the amp are fine (it never dipped below 11.4V) and they really couldn't look at it much more without charging me. So heres what happens. I play a song and its bumping fine then just on a low strong note the amp shuts off and then a few seconds it comes back on. The inside channel amp runs just fine all the way through. I honestly have no clue whats up with it so I thought I'd bring it to you guys. I'm gonna try to reground it right now. But any suggestions or advice would be great. If you need to see my stuff its in my sig or in my build log in my sig. Thanks alot guys!

99' Honda Civic EXBuild LogSMD GarageHeadunit- Sony Xplod CDXGT55UIWFront/Rear amp- 500watt Sony Xplod 4/3 channelFront Speakers- x2 Rockford Fosgate PrimesRear Speakers- x2 Pioneer TS A6964R

Sub amp- American Bass vfl 80.1Subwoofers- x2 C2Audio 4ohm DVC

Another thing was maybe the amp didnt like the 4 ohm SVC wired to 2ohms even though the amp is rated for that? Hes testing the ohms on one of my sub.

IMG_20120501_224838.jpg

99' Honda Civic EXBuild LogSMD GarageHeadunit- Sony Xplod CDXGT55UIWFront/Rear amp- 500watt Sony Xplod 4/3 channelFront Speakers- x2 Rockford Fosgate PrimesRear Speakers- x2 Pioneer TS A6964R

let me guess? 9105d? yeah they will cut out when they get hot, stop clipping so much. No really. I can run mine 30 minutes straight cranked as long as i don't clip and it doesn't cut out. when it clips it for along time it will. But hey, a little clipping on the subs isn't a huge deal just have to take it easy.

You aint the first person having this issue either. Some say it runs hot by mine doesn't run very hot. It does get pretty warm, but not that bad really.

edit

oh, 11.4v means you need better grounds, power wire, or battery or something like that. You really don't want to dip below your batteries resting voltage. try to stay above 13v if you can.

Edited by strangeduck

How do I fix clipping though? Retune the amp? Sorry, a bit new to car audio but I'm learning my shit.

I hate being a salesman, but get a dd1 or find someone near you that you can borrow from. Here is map that might help;

SMD Tools Locator

You just have to match gains, but work on electrical first. Is the amp 9105d?

Can you put up pictures of all your power connections that go to your amps? underhood, all grounds, amp connections so on? We can go from there and maybe help a bit better.

Edited by strangeduck

IMG_20120501_233221.jpg

Welp. Can this be a problem? I must of screwed into it by accident when I was mounting my amps. But could this have anything to do with it? The amps shutting off thing happened before I mounted my amps so Idk if this is a cause of it.

*edit for spelling*

Maybe, is that a ground? if its a ground are there several wires broke? it's kind of hard to tell since the pic is a bit fuzzy.If you just cut into the insualtion on a ground it's probably not a big deal.

To save you some trouble let me just run you through what i have heard on here a millions times.

1. Keep the ground from amp to car near 3 or 4ft long or less.

2. Your car is uni-body, so ground to a rear shock/strut tower bolt. Remove one nut from the strut mount, sand down to bare metal, put a terminal on the wire and either solder or crimp it or both.

3. Run a ground from your battery to the front shock/strut tower the same way.

4. Optional, if you are comfortable with doing this type of thing, run a new power cable (again with terminal ends) from alternator + to battery +.

Since you have a civic, they sometimes have a device that will put the alternator into a low output mode. I believe yours is one of them, you can do things like turn on your headlights or a/c for a moment and it will go back into high output. That could help.

I'll link to a thread that shows how to bypass that if you want.

Also where are you checking your voltage from? Is it right from the amp power terminals?

Edited by strangeduck