Sonic Electronix

Lol no prob! Alignment is a term used to get the speaker (aka sub) to work harmoniously with the tuning frequency of the box and port. See, your speaker has Thiele/Small specs and measurements like VAS, Fs, Qts, Sd, BL etc, that define the characteristics of how the sub performs. A ported box needs to be designed for a specific sub, or woofer, so that its output would be transiently linear, ie. smooth. Not boomy, or loss of bass etc. So for example, your sub might require a ported box size of 1cubic foot volume, with a port that will allow, lets say, 36Hz thru it. And all of this, the sub and box and port, will produce the best sounding, most efficient, most linear bass if done correctly. If the box is made too large and the port does not match the tuning frequency of the box (lets say the port is too long and too narrow, which allows only higher freqs thru) then the "alignment" is off, and the box, which is helping the sub to develop deep bass, does not work with the port, which is allowing high bass notes to pass thru. This results in crappy sounding bass, boomy bass, or no bass, or excessive bass, etc. Its easy to get a good box design, especially here on smd. This is the place to learn and ask. I am very sure someone will help you design your box, but make sure you post all the specs of the sub and the dimensions available in your car to work with.

Alright here we go

box_zpsd1c9ecd6.png

torres_zpse9c75acf.png

Cut List - All dimensions are in inches.

front - 31.75 x 13.5

baffle - 31 x 13.5

left - 21.25 x 13.5

right - 20.5 x 13.5

top/bottom - 37 x 22

port - 16 x 13.5

port extension - 9.25 x 13.5

Kenwood Excelon x396AQ2200Fi Q 12XS D3400

XS XP30001/0 RADAFLEXStinger volt meter

Mechman 240a alt

yeah thats a great box. No advantage with port location, this one saves a little space tho cause its on the side,the middle ports take a few more inches. Your SA's will rock the house with this box bro.

From the boxes I have built and used, no. I prefer them to be in a common chamber. In most vehicles, it is actually louder with the port are the driver's side.

Mechman 240a alt

yeah i love the lows haha. But thanks a lot you guys. You guys are awesome, definitely made my life a hell of a lot easier haha. Looks like im going to home depot tomorrow! :D

No problem. Please let me know how it turns out!

Mechman 240a alt

Archived