Sonic Electronix

wait if the port width is 4.5 and the length is 32..thats 36.5 inches, the box is only 37 long. something doesn't make sense to me

The port bends, and thats not the physical length.

Kenwood Excelon x396AQ2200Fi Q 12XS D3400

XS XP30001/0 RADAFLEXStinger volt meter

Mechman 240a alt

well if your cross width and/or height is smaller, then you would have a smaller length per frequency. Example using round ports: to achieve a tuning freq of say, 36Hz, you can either use a 4" diameter tube at 15" long, or a 2" diameter port at 3" long. Kinda works like that....

Thing to keep in mind tho, is that although you can use a smaller port to achieve the same tuning freq, that smaller port diameter might be restrictive and will result in wind noise and'or less output. For your subs, this port designed by Cox is ideal. No worries about being restrictive, especially on those low bass notes.

I'm running four SA-8v.2 D2's in one ported box, and the port is somewhere like 24" long, 3" wide, and 12" tall. Big port, prolly oversized, but I dont have to worry bout port noise or restriction

well if your cross width and/or height is smaller, then you would have a smaller length per frequency. Example using round ports: to achieve a tuning freq of say, 36Hz, you can either use a 4" diameter tube at 15" long, or a 2" diameter port at 3" long. Kinda works like that....

Thing to keep in mind tho, is that although you can use a smaller port to achieve the same tuning freq, that smaller port diameter might be restrictive and will result in wind noise and'or less output. For your subs, this port designed by Cox is ideal. No worries about being restrictive, especially on those low bass notes.

I'm running four SA-8v.2 D2's in one ported box, and the port is somewhere like 24" long, 3" wide, and 12" tall. Big port, prolly oversized, but I dont have to worry bout port noise or restriction

I do have port noise with my 6 inch port right now..lol man I learn something every day

lol that port noise might be from the port not being flared. Thats another issue, or non-issue if you dont hear it up front. Port tubing like PVC and ABS are straight and maintain the same diameter all the way, and that can cause some noise, unlike flared port tubes, which change diameter ever so slightly, and are also rounded at the end. also, the bottom of the port, where it is cut to length, if its pvc or such, that little lip of 1/4" will also cause turbulence, ie, noise. These slot port type ports are good cause they're long, and a lot of noise gets cencelled out, at least from what I have noticed.

Archived