Sonic Electronix

sound deadening roof. how many people gain or lost db's?

I'm planning on deadening my roof. If I do it myself I can save alot of money on installation. But I'm inexperienced. A local shop told me for 650 they would do the labor with me bringing the equipment. That includes laying the deadener adding bracing and spraying foam.

I don't want to spend that much if I'm going to lose db's on the meter. How many of you have lost by adding deadener to the roof?

650 to lay down some deadener and spray some foam? Sounds like fucking robbery to me
^^^that's what I was thinking!!! But I didn't want to sound cheap.

Materials are probably only $200-300 I would imagine

That price seems about right, especially if your not buying the product from the shop and bringing in your own....

Usually a shop gives you a discount on labor when you buy your items from them, but your not doing that.

So you cant really rag on the shop for their price one bit.

When you go out to eat for breakfast in the mornings do you bring your own eggs to the restaurant and have them cook those for you and expect it to cost you less money because they are your eggs?

Hell I wouldnt expect them to do it at all, Id throw them in your face.

Now.. We are talking about a 2007 Cadillac Escalade.

The amount of work you need to go through to remove the headliner is fairly great alone.

Remove weatherstripping because that normally overlaps the headliner around the roof.

Remove a/b/c/d pillars

Remove any overhead consoles, displays, etc.

Remove rear row seats if not more to get the angle to pull out the headliner.

Finally drop the headliner down.

This will take a couple hours worth of work alone with a couple guys doing it.

Not to mention you definitely will want to be careful with that expensive headliner not that you crease or fold it...

Then you can finally get read to clean and prep the surface for the deadener.

spend a couple hours installing the deadener.

And of coarse the same couple hours reinstalling everything.

The vehicle will be taking up an install bay for the entire day if not longer.

In that amount of time, that install bay could have done easily 20+ headunit installs, 10 remote starts, maybe 2-3 alarm installs etc.

A shops rate is usually billed out by the time to complete said project and how many people will be doing that project, and not how easy/hard the project maybe.

An excellent point..

So with that being said $650 isnt a bad price at all

Archived