Sonic Electronix

Okay, so circuit city is runnin this deal where if you buy one MTX jackhammer 12" you get one free, so a buddy went and got 4 of em.

I think they are 4 Ohm SVC, and 250W RMS, and 500W Max, hes also got a Power Acoustik 3000W amp just like mine which is

* 4 ohms: 900 watts x 1 chan.

* 2 ohms: 1300 watts x 1 chan.

* 1 ohm: 1700 watts x 1 chan.

So what I was wanting to know is if he is running all 4 if he could use that 1 amp to push all 4 or would it still be too much power, he wants to push them pretty hard, so should he use the PA or should he just go get a 2000W 4 channel or 2 1000/2's?

1997 4 Runner

Alpine CDA-9886

4 Fi Audio X Series 12's

1 Crunch GP3000D Pro

DC Power Inc. Alternator(Kickin out 15+ volts!)

footer-fade.gif

you can run them at a 1ohm or 4 ohm load. no way in hell should you do it as a 1 ohm load.

Wire it up like this 4_4ohm_svc_4ohm.gif and you should be fine, around 240rms per sub from the amp.

thats a pretty lucky sub setup he got lol, rms almost matches exactly :)

I would think the MTXs could handle it down at 1 ohm. I don't know about the new subs, but their old stuff was underrated and from what I have seen with most PA stuff, it is a bit overrated.

As long as he has clean power going to the amp and doesn't go crazy with the volume, bass knob, and keeps the rca signal clean (set the gain with a multi-meter), he shouldn't have too much issue.

Just my $.02

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

i dont think you understand colin :P

running the subs at 1 ohm means that ~1500rms will be going to 1000rms worth of subs. running them at 4 ohms will allow him to run full tilt and still stay under the rms rating, which is almost perfect for his friends setup.

sure you can run them at 1 ohm or 4 ohm's when you set it with a DMM, but its better imo to run them at 4 ohms because the higher the ohm load the cleaner the signal will be. (at least thats what i've read on other sites)

now thats MY .02 lol

Edited by Krannyman92

Yeah, i'm going to get a multi meter tommorrow and using exposports RMS guide im gonna set the gain on the amp so it doesnt clip or anything, and hell if it sounds good i might have to get the same setup as him lol hell subs are a 100 bucks a pop and they are buy 1 get 1 free

1997 4 Runner

Alpine CDA-9886

4 Fi Audio X Series 12's

1 Crunch GP3000D Pro

DC Power Inc. Alternator(Kickin out 15+ volts!)

footer-fade.gif

Eh... yeah, 4 ohms does put out 900 watts. Which puts him within 100 watts of the RMS of all 4- only 25 watts off per sub.

I was thinking of if I were doing it... with impedance rise, PA being a bit happy with their power ratings sometimes, and afew other things.... I would overpower them a bit so he would always have that "headroom" in the amp. Help the music be a bit more dynamic and to keep it from underrunning the subs.

Either way- I would try the 4ohms at first. You never know, it might blow your head off and be all you want! If it is garbage, he could try it at 1ohm.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.