Installing 2k System Do I Need A New Alt?

Guest Just_Rob
Just checked I have a Denso Hairpin alt but how do I tell whether it 100 or 130 a tow hitch came with the truck.

You should be able to see a part # on the alt through the drivers side wheel-well, just move the splash guard out of the way and it's right there... Should be 104210-4920 or 104210-4921 for the 100 Amp, I dont have a part# for the 130 Amp... Also If you are from a cold weather state, it is more likely you will have the 130 Amp alternator... Rob

You should be able to see a part # on the alt through the drivers side wheel-well, just move the splash guard out of the way and it's right there... Should be 104210-4920 or 104210-4921 for the 100 Amp, I dont have a part# for the 130 Amp... Also If you are from a cold weather state, it is more likely you will have the 130 Amp alternator... Rob

ok I have the 100amp then. If I put a Kinetic Hc 2000 battery under the hood do you think I will be able to push the 2K watts

07 Toyota FJ Cruiser

2 18 inch 08 Fi Btl's

2 SAZ-3000D

2 Alpine MRP-F300 Highs amp

3 Pairs of Alpine SPS-69C3 Highs

Kinetic Hc 2400,1400,& 3800

250 amp Mechman Alt

Alpine IXA W-404 H/U

Guest Just_Rob
ok I have the 100amp then. If I put a Kinetic Hc 2000 battery under the hood do you think I will be able to push the 2K watts

Well, realistically speaking 2000W at the voltage setpoint of your FJ is going to be around 150 amps, just for the amp and at least 70/80 amps RMS at normal volumes... A battery will help but I know from experience on those Toyotas (on my own truck) that you will have voltage issues.. 100 Amps on that FJ is barely enough just to run the vehicle... I'm not suggesting you need to go 200+ amps, but you definitely need more than the 100 amps you have... Rob

With any alt , stock or HO your FJ's voltage is controlled by the cars computer. Raising your stock PCM voltage will help with any changes you do as far as the alt. Higher voltage is needed for multi battery setups to ever see full state of charge. I would see where your voltage is setting now , HO or not the voltage is controlled by the PCM. Just_Rob has a good understanding of whats needed to get performance. Only so much amperage can move into your batteries from factory regulated voltage setpoints. Voltage (which is pressure) is needed to push amperage into your batteries to get full state of charge.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Guest Just_Rob
With any alt , stock or HO your FJ's voltage is controlled by the cars computer. MLA

Chris is exactly right.. I own 3 Toyota's, an '06 Tacoma 4.0L V-6, an '07 Tundra 5.7, and an '09 Camry.. All 3 have the same basic regulator (4 pin square) S, L, IG, and M terminals, and all 3 of them charge right at 14.0 at startup cold, and all three of them will settle at around 13.2v-13.3v hot. I have even seen my Tundra right at 13.0v when it's really hot outside.. Perfectly normal.. Every Toyota from '02----> is the same way.. It drives me NUTS on my Tundra because the blower speed for the AC is so damn low.....

GM's new RVC PCM controlled alts are the same way, we get a LOT of calls from people thinking that their alternators are dead because they sit at 13.0-13.2v when the batteries are charged... Ford's PCM controlled alts though are usually right at 14.8v and 14.0-14.2v hot.. The OEM manufacturers did this *reportedly* to extend battery life but I dont like seeing voltage that low, especially on cars with a lot of accessories....

It drives me NUTS on my Tundra because the blower speed for the AC is so damn low.....

Do you still have the OEM alternator, or are you running a DTR180 in that Tundra?

GM's new RVC PCM controlled alts are the same way, we get a LOT of calls from people thinking that their alternators are dead because they sit at 13.0-13.2v when the batteries are charged... Ford's PCM controlled alts though are usually right at 14.8v and 14.0-14.2v hot.. The OEM manufacturers did this *reportedly* to extend battery life but I dont like seeing voltage that low, especially on cars with a lot of accessories....

Actually they do it to beat the CAFE requirements. By reducing the charge voltage as low as 12.6 volts, GM basically drops the alternator out. On that screwy dyno test, 2 horsepower can really skew the fuel consumption. GM saves on alternator warranty work, batteries they could care less about.

Look at the GM TSB regarding the low charging issues:

Subject: Information on Voltmeter Gauge Fluctuation Due to Regulated Voltage Control System and Concerns About Camper/Trailer Battery Charging #07-06-03-009 - (12/05/2007)

I won't post the whole thing here, but a quick google will find it posted several places...

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Guest Just_Rob
Do you still have the OEM alternator, or are you running a DTR180 in that Tundra?

Actually they do it to beat the CAFE requirements. By reducing the charge voltage as low as 12.6 volts, GM basically drops the alternator out. On that screwy dyno test, 2 horsepower can really skew the fuel consumption. GM saves on alternator warranty work, batteries they could care less about.

Look at the GM TSB regarding the low charging issues:

Subject: Information on Voltmeter Gauge Fluctuation Due to Regulated Voltage Control System and Concerns About Camper/Trailer Battery Charging #07-06-03-009 - (12/05/2007)

I won't post the whole thing here, but a quick google will find it posted several places...

'Link

OEM 150 Amp Chris...

It will be a lot easier than installing this....

TRD Blower

We started on your module today and its a PCM controlling module. Very simple wire splice should only take about 30min from start to finish with room for a "union break" LOL

We will hit you up when its ready.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg