Big Iii Quesiton.

Guest Fi-Beat-Down

When you install the fuse on your big 3 upgrade the fuse is protecting the wire not the alt. So you use a fuse (close to the battery not the alt) depending on your wire size. If youre doing your big 3 in 1/0 which is best considering you plan to get a high output later and you will have to upgrade it, use a 300 amp fuse. "1/0 wire is rated at 300 amps up to a length of 10 ft." - Mechman

Edited by 95_100

Guest Fi-Beat-Down
When you install the fuse on your big 3 upgrade the fuse is protecting the wire not the alt. So you use a fuse (close to the battery not the alt) depending on your wire size. If youre doing your big 3 in 1/0 which is best considering you plan to get a high output later and you will have to upgrade it, use a 300 amp fuse. "1/0 wire is rated at 300 amps up to a length of 10 ft." - Mechman

well my alt is doing 75 - 80 amps

i have the hc 1800 battery on a 1606 hifoncs,

1 - 10" is probably my limit due to space in my trunk.

i use 4ga,

and ill use 4ga when the big 3 time comes, waiting on the wires.

but i was unsure, IF i needed to put a fuse there, ? where ? and what size.

i have little dimming in the headlights still, but i want to protect from having shorts, and playing seek and find when the wires short out.

If youre alt puts out 80 amps then you dont NEED to put a fuse because 4 gauge i believe can handle something like 150 amps especially in a short distance? Im putting that from memory so someone please correct me if im wrong. If you want to fuse it then something like 100 amp fuse will be fine. And if you do fuse this wire the fuse goes near the battery. The only time you would need a fuse in your situation (80 amp alt, 4 ga wire) is if this wire shorted between the alt and battery.

Guest Fi-Beat-Down
If youre alt puts out 80 amps then you dont NEED to put a fuse because 4 gauge i believe can handle something like 150 amps especially in a short distance? Im putting that from memory so someone please correct me if im wrong. If you want to fuse it then something like 100 amp fuse will be fine. And if you do fuse this wire the fuse goes near the battery. The only time you would need a fuse in your situation (80 amp alt, 4 ga wire) is if this wire shorted between the alt and battery.

understood, very well put.

i just don't want to kill my alternator anytime soon, its 10 yrs old now that i think about it..

thanks alot.