i have a problem with my trucks alternator, a 2000 5.3l silverado, i have tried 2 different alternators a excessive amperege 200amp and a 300amp, and they all do the same, ecxept the stock alternator, ok this is whats happening, when ever i shift to drive or reverse my voltage drops to like 11 volts, i have done the big 3, but still doesnt work , whats going on?????

audio fanatic

this may be it or something completely retarded but....

where did you tap the remote turn on for the alt to? fusebox under the hood? off the normal harness?

my shop installed a dual alt stinger setup in a tahoe 5.3l (different truck, i know, same company and motor.)

we basically tested for an ignition triggered fuse and tapped into that on the box, turns out it disables when the truck is removed from park, if that is the case on yours, find a proper ignition, i know it sounds like a long shot, but its the only thing i can think of for your voltage dropping when you shift into drive with an aftermarket alt in a gm truck....

idk what fuse it was, and we were all scratching our heads when the customer told us what was happening, idk why it would even do that, but it does and it's something to check for if you ran a separate turn on for the alt

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

where did you tap the remote turn on for the alt to? fusebox under the hood? off the normal harness?

my shop installed a dual alt stinger setup in a tahoe 5.3l (different truck, i know, same company and motor.)

we basically tested for an ignition triggered fuse and tapped into that on the box, turns out it disables when the truck is removed from park, if that is the case on yours, find a proper ignition, i know it sounds like a long shot, but its the only thing i can think of for your voltage dropping when you shift into drive with an aftermarket alt in a gm truck....

idk what fuse it was, and we were all scratching our heads when the customer told us what was happening, idk why it would even do that, but it does and it's something to check for if you ran a separate turn on for the alt

i ran it off the normal harness, thanks for the help ,i will try that to see if it works

audio fanatic

i have a problem with my trucks alternator, a 2000 5.3l silverado, i have tried 2 different alternators a excessive amperege 200amp and a 300amp, and they all do the same, ecxept the stock alternator, ok this is whats happening, when ever i shift to drive or reverse my voltage drops to like 11 volts, i have done the big 3, but still doesnt work , whats going on?????

Does the voltage come back up when you drive the vehicle? or does it stay at 11 volts(!) while driving?

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

hey, i just got a really good deal on a dual alternator kit, just wondering what size belt yall used on that tahoe

audio fanatic

it only goes up if i keep my feet on the gas

Well, there is your answer. The typical "300 amp" alternator has little to no output at idle. When you put the vehicle in gear, the engine speed drops - and the alternator stops putting out power.

Check your tach, I think you may see a higher than normal idle speed (in neutral) too - the PCM will pull idle speed up in extreme cases to compensate for poor alternator output. But it has to drop that speed in gear - or you will be doing 20 mph idling & overheating the transmission...

The best answer for daily drivers & high power needs is a dual alternator setup.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Well, there is your answer. The typical "300 amp" alternator has little to no output at idle. When you put the vehicle in gear, the engine speed drops - and the alternator stops putting out power.

Check your tach, I think you may see a higher than normal idle speed (in neutral) too - the PCM will pull idle speed up in extreme cases to compensate for poor alternator output. But it has to drop that speed in gear - or you will be doing 20 mph idling & overheating the transmission...

The best answer for daily drivers & high power needs is a dual alternator setup.

yeah makes sence, i am going with a dual alternator , i need to know whats size belt i need , where i can get it, i got the brackets and another 200 amp alternator, just need the belt

'Link

audio fanatic

The belt length would depend on which dual alternator setup you have...

Ohio Generator?

Missing Link Audio (MLA)

DC Power?

There are other makes as well. You should contact the bracket manufacturer for belt details.

The second issue with GM vehicles with PCM alternator control is the connection of multiple alternators. We have many late model GM's running multiple alternators at 15 volts with no problems. If you setup will not charge, or you have warning light problems / codes - you will need an MLA module.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The belt length would depend on which dual alternator setup you have...

Ohio Generator?

Missing Link Audio (MLA)

DC Power?

There are other makes as well. You should contact the bracket manufacturer for belt details.

The second issue with GM vehicles with PCM alternator control is the connection of multiple alternators. We have many late model GM's running multiple alternators at 15 volts with no problems. If you setup will not charge, or you have warning light problems / codes - you will need an MLA module.

'Link

i think is dc, do i need mla module even if its a 1 wire alternator?

audio fanatic