Second Skin Audio

Please Help, I Have A Problem.. It's Disgusting

I can drop well below my tuning.....I'm in a 4 door blazer....I can play below 22hz full tilt without a subsonic....I'll make a video....but if I open my rear hatch where my port is loading of the tailgate they being to unload at about 25hz...but only then.....and how often am I going to be driving down the road with my tailgate and rear window open lol.

I remember in HS some guy had a Bloupunkt 10" in bandpass and you couldn't hear it outside, so he actually made a prop stick so he could drive around with his hatch open 2" so you could hear it LOL

so is it loading, or is it also effectively elongating the port, thus tuning it lower?

IB3 22"

I'm gonna have to disagree with this statement....its about the enclosure design and loading environment.

for my old school JL 15W4 the excursion graph in my enclosure said I should have been bottoming out badly with 200-300 watts...The enclosure was 4.3 cubes tuned to 40Hz with 112.5 sq in of port area...I gave this sub all my 800 watt rms amp had daily with no problems....No SSF either. played down to 30Hz with no excursion problems.

On the WinISD excursion graph of this sub with 800 watts the sub should have smashed the former to hell.

ya, I'm guessing this is because your car became part of the enclosure, so you were tuned lower.... plus cabin gain/pressurization?

IB3 22"

How do you figure?

cuz Scott said so. I didn't say a 22" cone is equal to the Sd of 2 18's.

Scott is purposely making the IB3 22" almost a drop-in substitute for 2 18" IB3's. He is increasing Xmax as well. He's also trying to do this with the cost as less than 2 18's.

And, he's doing an auto 22" ... whether that is going to be a 22" BTL or not I do not know, because I am into the IB3 series, but if ya email him he'll prolly give you some info.

IB3 22"

I didn't read the rest, just the first topic.

I love ultra lows, I think its neet to play 10 to 20 hertz. Its just neet to me but I have not and would never think of trying to do it ported.

All my personal installs are sealed box setups even though I could be really loud with my stuff if I ported it.

I would love to have my 4 10s in 4 spereate 1 cubic foot enclosures.(One box 4 sections sorry) but the best I can do is .7 to get all 4 in there.

Its still pretty neet at 20 hertz.

and that would be tight and snappy as well :P

Im not going for < 20, I'd say 18Hz at the lowest cuz Bass I Love you is so much fun.... but I'll say I am going for 20Hz-30Hz

IB3 22"

I bumped it up to 20Hz... I have mixed feelings so far. If I had proper power it would be easier to tell. Overall, I think I liked the sound better at 15Hz but I am "safer" with less exursion, but it actually seems quieter not louder. Bass I Love you blows a shit ton of air now at 18Hz though, things seem a bit tighter, more defined, punchier... yet more clouded, more added to it and muddled. Seems kind of contradictory, but I'm gonna go play some more, and after a few days I'll bump it up again to 25Hz.

before: 20" 15Hz

DSC_0001-2.jpg

cut almost all the way around at 10" then slit both sides and took 1/2 a side out

DSC_0003-2.jpg

other side out too, 10" for 19Hz now

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

IB3 22"

What are your current box and sub specs by the way?

If you're running that IB3 ported that could account for part of your unloading issues above 30Hz. I plotted it out in WinISD and see what you're talking about when you say you have to watch cone excursion in the 30-40Hz range.

I have never tried a 15Hz port in my box (interchangeable ports) but I think I might try one tomorrow if I can fit it. I would be surprised if it unloads too bad at 30-40Hz

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

Power Handling

Low Frequency Extension

Flat Frequency Response.

Pick two.

Your kind of response is a bit like mine really. I like low frequency extension with a flat resonatic response. To my ears, there is only one enclosure that does so, and that is a horn. Then grab yourself a parametric EQ or a Graphic if you like cheating and EQ out any peaks or troughs in response. You should only need at maximum +/- 3dB. Any more and you need to redesign the enclosure. Try the BillFitzMaurice TubaHT, optimised for 15" woofers. I built a pair and loved the solid low frequency extension to 15hz.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

What are your current box and sub specs by the way?

If you're running that IB3 ported that could account for part of your unloading issues above 30Hz. I plotted it out in WinISD and see what you're talking about when you say you have to watch cone excursion in the 30-40Hz range.

I have never tried a 15Hz port in my box (interchangeable ports) but I think I might try one tomorrow if I can fit it. I would be surprised if it unloads too bad at 30-40Hz

I have been plotting and plotting and plotting all kinds of things for years with this setup in mind, older XXX's, 06' XXX's, SoloX18's, L7's, Tumults, Avalanches, all kinds of stuff... and when tuning below 20Hz, excursion is usually a problem whether an "spl" driver, a "SQ" driver, or what have you... "SQL". The lower you tune, the narrower the bandwidth where port gain and excursion are effected, as well as the steeper the effects of unloading... I'm interested in what you think if you drop a 15Hz tune in! I hope you can play the 10 songs I have on my list, I'll look it up and post it....

So my box was a slap together temporary build, and I was so happy with it that I almost decided to mkeep it, but the 22" isn't gonna fit... I have to keep 1 seat down as it is to keep the sub from smackin it, and I am already way underpowered and seldom reach high excursion as it is. I'm gonna try to bump it up to 25Hz to experiment before making a permenant box.

I am 38" tall in the front, 32" in tha back, 30" deep on the bottom, and 28" deep on top, 42" wide with a 20" port 7.75" in diameter.

38 + 32 = 70/2 = 35" tall average, 33.5" internal height

30 + 28 = 58/2 = 29 average 27.5 internal depth

42" wide 40.5 internal

33.5 X 27.5 X 40.5 = 37310.6/1728 = 21.59 cubes before displacement... I WAS WRONG!!

7.75" X 19.25" long = 47 area x 19.25 = 907.6 cubes/1728 = .525 port displacement + .22 cubes sub disp = .75

21.59 - .75 20.8 cubes! round to 20 cubes

20 cubes 7.75" x 20" = waiting for IB3 18 single 2 plug in for winisd

IB3 22"

Power Handling

Low Frequency Extension

Flat Frequency Response.

Pick two.

Your kind of response is a bit like mine really. I like low frequency extension with a flat resonatic response. To my ears, there is only one enclosure that does so, and that is a horn. Then grab yourself a parametric EQ or a Graphic if you like cheating and EQ out any peaks or troughs in response. You should only need at maximum +/- 3dB. Any more and you need to redesign the enclosure. Try the BillFitzMaurice TubaHT, optimised for 15" woofers. I built a pair and loved the solid low frequency extension to 15hz.

Cheers,

Mick

I prefer power REQUIREMENT :D

low frequency extention and respomce that takes much much less power

Ah, horns, TLs... I evolve ever so slowly, and some day I hope to be to that point :) I made my first TL a month ago with a 5" driver from a cheap walmart HT surround sound and a 5" cardboard pipe 8.5' long I got free from work..... learned a lot! 33Hz tune! Had to slap it right in the end as it was a perfect fot, though, so not 1/3rd to 1/5th the way in to eliminate nasty resonances.

I don't want to do any EQing though, or port plugs... just keep on playin with my super low tuning, keep it large... so far I've done 15Hz, now I'll play with 20Hz for a few days, then bump up to 25Hz... good thing I decided to build a temporary box I can experiment with before I build the duece duece!

I checked into the tubas a while back when i did the TL experiment, youtune has some vids on them

IB3 22"

build a t-line.... tune it to 11Hz, that way, an octave up or doun and you will be happy. you could play 1 cycle or 21. Is that low enough? I think you are pushing it just a bit. butt dud i wish you the best in your trials.

OiRYFHf.png

////Alpine, Eclipse, Load Boss, Pheonix Gold, MB Quart,Digital Desings, Memphis, Stinger, Periphial, MTX, Visualogic