Second Skin Audio

Sub Enclosure (inside)

Is there any real need to fibreglass the inside of the box? have 2 x 15" subs going into a ported enclosure, port in-between the two subs...

Is there any need to fibreglass the inside? would 3/4 MDF be enough? Or Birch ply?

If there is a need to fibreglass, would just coating the inside of the box with resin be enough? or would matting etc be required?

TA

Is there any real need to fibreglass the inside of the box? have 2 x 15" subs going into a ported enclosure, port in-between the two subs...

Is there any need to fibreglass the inside? would 3/4 MDF be enough? Or Birch ply?

If there is a need to fibreglass, would just coating the inside of the box with resin be enough? or would matting etc be required?

TA

it depends on what subs your pushing,.. and how far your willing to go, but if you dont wanna go alllll the way then just coat it, and use wood glue inside again to insure a good seal.

i would just use a Polyester filler, its smoth and easy to lay out,.

if mixed right it will be solid as a rock.

144+ DB'S OUT OF A CONVERTIBLE

12" Funky Pup Subwoofer (The worlds most powerful subwoofer)

6" Aero Ported Box

Hifonics - Bxi2010-D

Pioneer Deck

RD Audio - Front Speaker

Rockford Fosgate - Rear Speakers

KnuKonceptz - 0 Gauge Wire

KnuKonceptz SS Karma - 10 Gauge Sub Wire

KnuKonceptz - Krystal Kable Rca

Big 3 - Upgrade - 0 Gauge

Kinetik - Hc1800 Battery

iv re sealing the inside of my box and it was a night and day difference,

then once i did that i kid you not i was breaking screw heads that held the sub in, due to more pressure..

lol use good screws once done..

144+ DB'S OUT OF A CONVERTIBLE

12" Funky Pup Subwoofer (The worlds most powerful subwoofer)

6" Aero Ported Box

Hifonics - Bxi2010-D

Pioneer Deck

RD Audio - Front Speaker

Rockford Fosgate - Rear Speakers

KnuKonceptz - 0 Gauge Wire

KnuKonceptz SS Karma - 10 Gauge Sub Wire

KnuKonceptz - Krystal Kable Rca

Big 3 - Upgrade - 0 Gauge

Kinetik - Hc1800 Battery

cool thanks!

One last question is 3/4 mdf sufficient? Or should I use 1" MDF? Or everyone seems to be talking about Birch Ply? Checked the price of Birch ply here, €70 a SHEET bloody expensive!!

The subs I'm using are Massive Audio DMX15s, not too sure how hard they push to be honest as they're the first ones here! :D

Would 3/4 mdf coated with resin inside be enough??

The louder the better to be honest, would prefer to do it 100% right first time rather than wanting to rebuild at a later stage.

iv re sealing the inside of my box and it was a night and day difference,

then once i did that i kid you not i was breaking screw heads that held the sub in, due to more pressure..

lol use good screws once done..

Resin will add NO strength to a flat panel of MDF. That is what proper bracing is for.

The reason to use fiberglass in a box is to reinforce glue joints. Technically all that holds a box together is the glue, the screws do just about nothing. But if you've ever broken an old box apart you'll notice a proper glue joint will actually usually remain somewhat intact, but the MDF itself around the joint will be cracked and broken. The glue is actually stronger than the MDF itself. As a result, too much force on any joint can cause the little 3/4" MDF joint itself to fracture and deteriorate. This necessitates the use of something to spread the force out beyond the 3/4" joint of MDF in order to achieve a stronger bond between two panels, which is where fiberglass mat comes in.

Resin itself is also of very little structural use, it's the fiberglass matt layed down which provides the structural strength. Resin merely acts as a catch-all sealant, in case your cuts aren't too straight and you may have an air leak ;)

Proper, ample bracing is the first course of action to strengthening any enclosure. Fiberglass does have its uses, but in 90% of the applications I see it used, a few simple, well placed (and cheap) braces would have been the better solution.

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck