Multiple Mids/highs To One Channel

I am looking to amp my cabin speakers. I don't have money but I do have a cruddy Sony 2-channel amp I just pulled off of my subs. It does (all RMS) 140x2 at 4 ohms and 170x2 at 2 ohms. I would be powering a pair of MB Quart EKA 113 coaxials (35rms?) and a pair of Alpine SPS-690A by-nines (50rms). If I were to wire the two speakers per side together as an 8-ohm load, would the amp put out 70 watts? My main goal is to be able to use the 80hz HPF on the amp for these speakers; I could care less about them being loud. Would you guys do it? I know it's crappy equipment but I figured it's better than nothing. Also, would wiring the two speakers to 8 ohms cause any SQ problems? both speakers are 4-ohms.

If its really a crap idea I will just wait until I can sell/trade this amp and get a small 4-channel. I found refurb's in town for $50 that are 50x4 at 4; I have the power ground & RCA wires already in my spares bin, would just have to buy speaker wire.

What do you guys recommend on a budget for wire? I think I only need 18 gauge if I go with a 4-channel, but I may spring for 16 if I stick with the current amp.

If you need any more information let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Too many projects, too little time...

I am looking to amp my cabin speakers. I don't have money but I do have a cruddy Sony 2-channel amp I just pulled off of my subs. It does (all RMS) 140x2 at 4 ohms and 170x2 at 2 ohms. I would be powering a pair of MB Quart EKA 113 coaxials (35rms?) and a pair of Alpine SPS-690A by-nines (50rms). If I were to wire the two speakers per side together as an 8-ohm load, would the amp put out 70 watts? My main goal is to be able to use the 80hz HPF on the amp for these speakers; I could care less about them being loud. Would you guys do it? I know it's crappy equipment but I figured it's better than nothing. Also, would wiring the two speakers to 8 ohms cause any SQ problems? both speakers are 4-ohms.

If its really a crap idea I will just wait until I can sell/trade this amp and get a small 4-channel. I found refurb's in town for $50 that are 50x4 at 4; I have the power ground & RCA wires already in my spares bin, would just have to buy speaker wire.

What do you guys recommend on a budget for wire? I think I only need 18 gauge if I go with a 4-channel, but I may spring for 16 if I stick with the current amp.

Thanks in advance!

I dont know about the amp, but for speaker wire, you can get like a 50 ft roll of 14 or 16 gauge at walmart for like 10 bucks.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Thanks in advance!

im thinkin no matter what way u go about it that sony is gonna get hot and shut down. im pretty sure it wont run 8 ohm and i no it wont do 1

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

I dont know about the amp, but for speaker wire, you can get like a 50 ft roll of 14 or 16 gauge at walmart for like 10 bucks.

Yeah, the Scosche CCA stuff. Would that be okay though? I heard that some people have noise issues with CCA wire on mids & highs.

im thinkin no matter what way u go about it that sony is gonna get hot and shut down. im pretty sure it wont run 8 ohm and i no it wont do 1

Do you think it would get hotter at 8 than, say, at 4 or 2? I know it got pretty hot at 2 but never shut down.

All I know is, I pummeled that thing bridged at 4 ohms, and each channel at 2, and it got hot sometimes, really hot sometimes, but never shut down on me. Maybe running it on speakers instead of subs will, but idk.

Edited by ktownsdriftking

Yeah, the Scosche CCA stuff. Would that be okay though? I heard that some people have noise issues with CCA wire on mids & highs.

I am not sure about the mids and highs for the car, but am using it right now for my Hometheater set-up 4 Sony Towers with a Two Tweets a 5 inch mid and an 8 inch sub in each tower, and each tower is getting about 250 rms and they sound great, also I use there 12 or 10 gauge from my ZX.1500 to my 2 CVX's and they sound good as well, havent had any problems with there wire.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

keep it away from any power wires in the car. u should be ok

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

I always thought running it at lower ohms would make the amp heat up more since its putting out more power...do you think 8 ohms would make it heat up more than, say, at 2?

This is also involving my hometheater set-up, my stereo amplifier is rated at 6 ohm output per channel, but each tower I am running off each channel is 8 ohms, and I have had this for a few months now and have had no problems, again this is home audio and not car audio, the way I figure is I am just getting about 20% less power than if I were to use 6 ohm towers. I also always thought you could only hurt an amp by running below it rated ohm load.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

8 ohms will be coooler, but will generally put out half the wattage as you have at 4 ohms

Car

1996 Sable LS

8,000K Bi-Xenon HID's

Pioneer Premier DEX-P1R

Diamond Audio D351, Diamond Audio D362i, Diamond D3TAK off Kicker ZX200.4

Custom 15" 13w7 motor, 3.5" aluminum coils dual 1 ohm off NV-AM25001

Dynamat Dynaliner Second Skin Damplifier Pro

Stock 130A Alternator

My Build

Truck

1995 Ford F-150 Flareside XLT

10,000K Bi-Xenon HID's, 15,000K Bi-Xenon HID's

Kicker KS6502, KS400 off Pioneer Premier PRS-D4100F

Truck Build

Ref(s) Rogers, Jared, Mikesmith0890, Twigz, DHFHades, BASS14, Solo_X18, mrafrica, camino_1to3, kickerassman

[speakerman9000] 5:43 pm: if sony sucks so bad how come my amps still work when i had 3 12s on it

[capalass23] 11:27 pm: wow u grand man poopin out babys like hto cakes

[KevinniveK] can u have sex later please hes helping me

8 ohms will be coooler, but will generally put out half the wattage as you have at 4 ohms

That's something I definitely wanted to hear lol.

If it works out like you say, I should get 70 watts x2 at 8. Which would mean 35 per speaker, which I THINK (knock on wood) should be fine with the 80Hz HPF. And if its not, I can put bass blockers on the speakers without them popping from too much power...I think.