Help me out with my electrical..

Well I was bored in class today and started to think about the wiring for my stereo...

When I do my extra batteries in the back, I do a run from the positive terminals to the positive bus bar, then a run from the negative to the negative buss bar.

The positive goes to the amp...

Where does the negative go?

My other setup didn't have any additional batteries, and the amp was grounded to the chassis.

Positive wire from the front to the positive buss bar. Negative wire from the buss bar to the frame or chassis.

Really isn't any different than setting up a basic system, except you have more batteries in place.

To answer your earlier question about fuses to the amp(s). If the amp(s) do not have built in fuses then yes, you'd want them.. unless the amps are so close to the batteries there'd be no short. The fuses in the amps are to protect the amps. The fuses from the front battery to the back batteries are to protect the positive wire and batteries against any shorts. This is why you put the fuses as close to the batteries as possible.

I hope that helped out a little. I haven't ran fuses in such a long time, I'm starting to think I'm new to the scene again.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

Positive wire from the front to the positive buss bar. Negative wire from the buss bar to the frame or chassis.

Really isn't any different than setting up a basic system, except you have more batteries in place.

To answer your earlier question about fuses to the amp(s). If the amp(s) do not have built in fuses then yes, you'd want them.. unless the amps are so close to the batteries there'd be no short. The fuses in the amps are to protect the amps. The fuses from the front battery to the back batteries are to protect the positive wire and batteries against any shorts. This is why you put the fuses as close to the batteries as possible.

I hope that helped out a little. I haven't ran fuses in such a long time, I'm starting to think I'm new to the scene again.

Ahh okay. So the negative coming off the battery bank has to be grounded. Then you ground the amp aswell?

It didn't really seem right when somebody told me the negative off the battery bank goes into the amp.

edit:

Oh...

this is what my wire says, I have #1.

DSC08855.jpg

So would I use a 300a fuse?

Why I'm asking, the wire/fuse guide says this..

Maximum Fuse Size

00 awg 400 amps

0 awg 325 amps

1 awg 250 amps

2 awg 200 amps

4 awg 125 amps

6 awg 80 amps

8 awg 50 amps

10 awg 30 amps

12 awg 20 amps

14 awg 15 amps

16 awg 7.5 amps

Edited by Gearstix

Let me try this again.

Positive wire from front > fuse > long run to back > fuse > back batteries buss bar positive

Ground from back batteries buss bar negative to frame. Wire from back batteries buss bar negative to negative input on amp.

Positive wire from back batteries buss bar to positive input on amp.

If you do not hook the negative to the frame/chassis of the vehicle, you'll not get a charge. If you do not hook the negative from the buss bar to the negative of the amp, you'll not get power to the amp.

I hope I worded that right. If not I'm sure somebody will correct it for me.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

Let me try this again.

Positive wire from front > fuse > long run to back > fuse > back batteries buss bar positive

Ground from back batteries buss bar negative to frame. Wire from back batteries buss bar negative to negative input on amp.

Positive wire from back batteries buss bar to positive input on amp.

If you do not hook the negative to the frame/chassis of the vehicle, you'll not get a charge. If you do not hook the negative from the buss bar to the negative of the amp, you'll not get power to the amp.

I hope I worded that right. If not I'm sure somebody will correct it for me.

I got ya.