Second Skin Audio

Blown sub?

I bought a 15" Type R last night and after about 5 or 10 minutes of slapping it starts to smell. Would my sub be blown? I mean, it still slaps pretty hard it's just the smell and the center of the sub is warm warm. Am I over powering it or is the sub just F'd up?

You have yet to break it in. Run it at 1/4 power until the smell stops, then go to 1/2 power for a few hours. That smell is the sub breaking in and pushing it to hard during break-in is never good.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

Well, the sub is used. Same amp settings as my old 15" BTL. Might be overpowering it. I'm turning the gain to about 1/4 and the bass boost to 0.

Well, the sub is used. Same amp settings as my old 15" BTL. Might be overpowering it. I'm turning the gain to about 1/4 and the bass boost to 0.

get a DMM and tune the gains correctly. my guess is your either clipping it, or overpowering it.

Using ap15001d. Turned gains etc. down. Seems to be alright now. Another thing though, If I press the cap(?) around near the surrounds, it seems to bottom out but if I press in the middle, nothing. Is that normal in type r's?

mine never did that. when you push down on the center, there should still be some sort of resistance.

TNCB

....my damn room was shaking, im like wtf is this how am i gonna die jakin off to vida guerra?

you either overpowering or clipping it just like hdrox88 said

mine used to smell before it became fully broken in but mine is only getting 1000 wrms

and also when ever i used a ipod it clipped my signal so that could be another problem if your using one

97 exploder xlt2 18" obsidian audio daul 2 v2s1 sundown audio saz1500d at .5 ohm2 sets of alpine type r components1 MB quart onyx 125.4alpine cda-98871 mike singer 250 amp altxs d3400 in the backall kicker wiringBIG 3singer resonance killer sound deadner throughout