Second Skin Audio

NEED OPINION AND TECH ADVICE

Hey guys i have a MTX TE1501D amp

now spec says that the amp pushes about 1000 @ 2ohms and 1500 @1

i connected a 1 12" L7 wired at 2 ohms to the mtx and within 1/2 hour of playing at .450 volt gain, 0 bass gain and eq set at 40 hz the speakers begin to smoke a little,

now i put a 1 15" alphasonik Mayhem wired at 1 ohms after about a month of playing i notice that the sub is sounding funny, upon investigating i realize i toasted the sub,

now this mayhem is rated at 2600, the amp is 1500 @ 1ohm, zero on everything again, is there a problem with this amp or i need higher power handling sub?

ok now im thinking about putting a 1 15" FI BTL at 1 ohm, is it gonna stand up?

the enclosure i'm gonna build is 34" wide 17 high 19 deep, use slot port 15.5 high 4 wide and 15.5 long

is this gonna cut it, looking to get the best out of the BTL or should i use 6" aero port and how long?

Edited by Higrade

i connected a 1 12" L7 wired at 2 ohms to the mtx and within 1/2 hour of playing at 0 gain, bass gain and eq set at 40 hz the speakers begin to smoke a little,

now i put a 1 15" alphasonik Mayhem wired at 1 ohms after about a month of playing i notice that the sub is sounding funny, upon investigating i realize i toasted the sub,

now this mayhem is rated at 2600, the amp is 1500 @ 1ohm, zero on everything again, is there a problem with this amp or i need higher power handling sub?

the enclosure i'm gonna build is 34" wide 17 high 19 deep, use slot port 15.5 high 4 wide and 15.5 long

is this gonna cut it, looking to get the best out of the BTL or should i use 6" aero port and how long?

did you have the gain on 0 or did you have it turned to .2 volts?

gain was on .2 volts correct

that is full gain.

that is where you match your radios output voltage.

the lower output from your radio, the higher you set the gain on the amp.

do you know your radios pre out voltage?

that is full gain.

that is where you match your radios output voltage.

the lower output from your radio, the higher you set the gain on the amp.

do you know your radios pre out voltage?

factory radio with a mtx re Q and Clarion EQ

ok it wasn't full gain it was 450mv

the amp has a input sens button where it can multiple gain by either ten or one

gain nob can at full can be either 1v or 10 v

sorry my bad

factory radio with a mtx re Q and Clarion EQ

ok it wasn't full gain it was 450mv

the amp has a input sens button where it can multiple gain by either ten or one

gain nob can at full can be either 1v or 10 v

sorry my bad

Id still say you have it turned to the max, thats why youve burnt those other subs. idk about that eq, but alot have like a 5 to 10 volt output, and with your amp gain on full, your sending a bit 3000 watt clipped signal that is causing so much extra heat and killing subs. you have to fix this before moving on to a new sub.

Id still say you have it turned to the max, thats why youve burnt those other subs. idk about that eq, but alot have like a 5 to 10 volt output, and with your amp gain on full, your sending a bit 3000 watt clipped signal that is causing so much extra heat and killing subs. you have to fix this before moving on to a new sub.

what you recommend? is there a way to test it, a have a multimeter

what you recommend? is there a way to test it, a have a multimeter

youll need a test tone, like 45 hz. turn off the bass boost, leave it off. and turn the gain off.

unplug the sub from the amp,

if you have an oscope it will be more precise, but a multimeter can give a decent way to set the gain

a way to set the gain correct is to run the radio at 3/4 volume with a tone playing and turn the gain up slowly until you get to the correct AC voltage coming out of the amp. to figure out the voltage you need to know the equation for power P= V^2 / R . solve this for V and you get V = sqrt(P * R)

so your amp puts out 1500 rms at 1 ohm. so P * R is 1500 * 1 + = 1500. take the square root and you have an output voltage of 38.7 volts

so with the multimeter set on ac volts, put the neg in the neg speaker terminal and the pos in the pos terminal. then just turn the gain up untill it reaches 38.7 volts.

Im not sure if that amp is over rated or not, but this should get you in a good ball park range.

And once you do this leave it, if its not as loud as you like it, youll have to upgrade to a more powerfull amp. You dont need anymore blown subs

youll need a test tone, like 45 hz. turn off the bass boost, leave it off. and turn the gain off.

unplug the sub from the amp,

if you have an oscope it will be more precise, but a multimeter can give a decent way to set the gain

a way to set the gain correct is to run the radio at 3/4 volume with a tone playing and turn the gain up slowly until you get to the correct AC voltage coming out of the amp. to figure out the voltage you need to know the equation for power P= V^2 / R . solve this for V and you get V = sqrt(P * R)

so your amp puts out 1500 rms at 1 ohm. so P * R is 1500 * 1 + = 1500. take the square root and you have an output voltage of 38.7 volts

so with the multimeter set on ac volts, put the neg in the neg speaker terminal and the pos in the pos terminal. then just turn the gain up untill it reaches 38.7 volts.

Im not sure if that amp is over rated or not, but this should get you in a good ball park range.

And once you do this leave it, if its not as loud as you like it, youll have to upgrade to a more powerfull amp. You dont need anymore blown subs

thanks sounds good

i connected a 1 12" L7 wired at 2 ohms to the mtx and within 1/2 hour of playing at .450 volt gain, 0 bass gain and eq set at 40 hz the speakers begin to smoke a little,

ok now what about the enclosure for the BTL