That ducting is CRUCIAL to keeping it cool. Don't fuck about with it. The clear tape is there to stop the RF shielding inside the case shorting out parts of your motherboard. Leave it there as well, unless you want your laptop to go kapow-fizz-smoke.

EDIT: I left the duct off an Asus laptop once and it would shut down from the CPU overheating before it could boot Windows.

Only a few bits of a laptop actually run hot... being the drive (if it's not an SSD) the CPU, GPU if it has a discrete one, and the chipset. Which will all be covered with that duct. Who cares about cooling the rest...

the first thing i thought when i read the origional post is "wow, hes gonna cut that thing apart and destroy it"

leave it alone, all that ducting is there to duct air to where its needed and away from where its not. I'm not calling you dumb, but if you're somehow outsmarting an entire team of computer scientists and engineers, the world is in trouble. A mass produced laptop like that isnt some guy throwing a bunch of crap into a case and then copying it millions of times over, a lot of that stuff is custom designed and machined, and entire teams spend months or years developing every last little piece and testing it over and over again. if there is tape there, its there for a reason. if there's plastic there, it has a purpose. Theres not some guy puffing on the herb going "hey, we should make 900,000 of these little plastic duct thingys and just pop em in every laptop we make"

Alright, I'll keep the ducting or whatever it's called.

But what about a new fan?

I'm no stranger to desktop computers, but laptops are like Mars, I've never seen the insides till the other day. LOL.

The reason I'm upgrading is, it's too expensive to buy or build anew one (at least for now). I have some money that I'm willing to spend, but not much, just enough to get it running properly.

EDIT: I just got Acronis in the mail today (Best buy shipped via USPS for some reason). Anyway, what letter would I use as the partition to copy over to my new drive? I can't select C and I'm not sure what to use. Help please?

Edited by 1992Chevy K1500

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

Alright, I'll keep the ducting or whatever it's called.

But what about a new fan?

I'm no stranger to desktop computers, but laptops are like Mars, I've never seen the insides till the other day. LOL.

The reason I'm upgrading is, it's too expensive to buy or build anew one (at least for now). I have some money that I'm willing to spend, but not much, just enough to get it running properly.

EDIT: I just got Acronis in the mail today (Best buy shipped via USPS for some reason). Anyway, what letter would I use as the partition to copy over to my new drive? I can't select C and I'm not sure what to use. Help please?

Anyone?

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

Yeah, it's now been partitioned (thanks to google), but it's (google) been no help in creating a bootable backup. I asked my other questions here:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...mp;#entry807723

Because this one is a little long to search through for information.

Edited by 1992Chevy K1500

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

the first thing i thought when i read the origional post is "wow, hes gonna cut that thing apart and destroy it"

leave it alone, all that ducting is there to duct air to where its needed and away from where its not. I'm not calling you dumb, but if you're somehow outsmarting an entire team of computer scientists and engineers, the world is in trouble. A mass produced laptop like that isnt some guy throwing a bunch of crap into a case and then copying it millions of times over, a lot of that stuff is custom designed and machined, and entire teams spend months or years developing every last little piece and testing it over and over again. if there is tape there, its there for a reason. if there's plastic there, it has a purpose. Theres not some guy puffing on the herb going "hey, we should make 900,000 of these little plastic duct thingys and just pop em in every laptop we make"

Well you do realize that some times this happens...Some of the companies make stupid decisions...Dell makes several of those lol