Any Way To Test Misfire? *FIXED*

thread title^ and can i do it with either a DMM or oscilloscope?

why? my friend was riding with me today and said my car was misfiring like no other. that would certainly explain the slow acceleration and the ridonkulous vibrations.

my car is a 94 corolla with the OBD sensor (not obd2) under the hood if you need to know.

Edited by Kranny

Guest DC Power Kyle

to check for misfiring ive heard just disconnecting one plug at a time, if it gets worse... its not that one... if it stays the same... then its that one.

unless i misread... no CEL?

to check for misfiring ive heard just disconnecting one plug at a time, if it gets worse... its not that one... if it stays the same... then its that one.

unless i misread... no CEL?

ill try that tomorrow morning. what is CEL by the way?

edit: cel = check engine light? yea i have one, it turns on when the car does its self-test when you first start it then it shuts off.

Edited by Kranny

really? nice i got an autozone a mile from my house. im gonna try all the options that i can.

the last time i had it done they can tell you which cylinder is misfiring,fuel injector acting shitty they will also clear the codes so the check engine light goes off. And if you change the plugs please change the wires.

Edited by LOOKINFORSPL?

what if the engine timing is off could that also have the symptoms that i listed?

if the belt has streched and slipped enough.mileage will help determine if the belt needs to be changed. someone correct me if im wrong? how many miles are on it and when was the last time the plugs and wires were changed???

if the belt has streched and slipped enough.mileage will help determine if the belt needs to be changed. someone correct me if im wrong? how many miles are on it and when was the last time the plugs and wires were changed???

157k miles, last time the plugs were changed i would say 4 years ago. my brother had the car before me and i remember my uncle replacing the spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap because the thing sounded like a lawnmower.

edit: i read somewhere also that the timing belt/chain should be replaced every 50k miles or something

Edited by Kranny

157k miles, last time the plugs were changed i would say 4 years ago. my brother had the car before me and i remember my uncle replacing the spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap because the thing sounded like a lawnmower.

edit: i read somewhere also that the timing belt/chain should be replaced every 50k miles or something

:yahoo: damn. check the misfire at auto zone ad if you plan on keeping it change all 3. but the plugs and wires got to go first,that ight be the only problem. usually a good mechanic if you kno one can check the timing in about 10 munutes.The timing belt/chain change interval varies with each car,hope this helped