Sundown Audio

Amp getting hot....

beandip

if it has been running the exact same way for 2 years and it still works, why completely change something? just rig up a 12v computer fan to blow air over the amplifier and that should help the amp stay a tad cooler

^i might just do that...better yet, my remote wire is tied into the ACC on the radio so i dont have to worry about running a relay (not the remote wire)

also i did the big 3 back in February this year. I wanted to do it with 0/2 or bigger but i had a bunch of 4 gauge laying around from when i first installed my system so i was like why not.

umm below steady ohm and re do your big 3 in 0/1 or 0/2 preferably 0/1 and maybe a second bat to keep voltage up im seeing voltage drop now that u have 2 amps in my car.

i sadly may have to put my cap back in as a back up to help a little. untill i get a second bat

I dont see how 0/1 can help since the stock alt can only put out so much...i do know there will be a slight voltage drop due to the wire length but still... I will probably get a AD244 alternator since that is a cheap 145 amp upgrade over the stock 105. still, 13.2 is the lowest i have seen the voltage get TO the amp. most of the time its 13.6+. regardless a higher output alt is next since i plan on adding an E-fan and getting rid of the stock mechanical fan to clean up space under the hood.

back on topic, we have confirmed that the voltage is not the problem since i dont have to go full tilt to get the amp hotter than it should. though it will not hurt to go overkill on my electrical a second battery is not needed. as far as using a cap? they dont help for crap, its been discussed before on other audio forums and the only thing they are good for is to smooth out voltage ripples on a vehicle with a very healthy electrical. its not a solve dimming headlights miracle patch.

headlights dim, do the big 3, still dim, bigger alt. still dim, better battery...etc.

quick video in action. not bad for idle and the stock alt and even with the headlights on.

-Jonathan

2000 Sonoma Extended cab 2.2L 5 Speed with Hurst short throw shifter, 3/4 Drop with 17s, Flowmaster original 40 series.

My Project thread

it 2 low of a ohm for that amp

there rated at 2 ohm

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

Well guys, a couple of days ago i went ahead and ordered myself a SAZ-1500D (thanks Jacob!!)

even though i am running it at 1.4 ohms this amp performs! i am kinda thinking of reconing the sub so i can wire it up to 1 ohm nominal and take almost full advantage of the amp. of course i will have to add the BP option though. but for now i will just beat the hell out of my Q.

Thanks for everyone's input. i always had an idea that the impedance was causing it but until i upgraded the electrical 100% i wasnt so sure. hell, now with this amp there is a less of a draw on my electrical too!

so far the new amp only gets to 110ºF...and that is with it being 99ºF outside. so i know i am barely making this amp work but it wouldnt hurt though :D also with the way it is now, i am more than happy and really not in a rush to recone it just yet, sure the Q can handle a bit more power, but for now i really dont need a few extra hundred watts.

fda516ae.jpg

00b44869.jpg

fa79a196.jpg

Flipped the aluminum strip so the logo is the right way up.

3cfd9a6e.jpg

Ah, sorry about the crappy pic. i didnt feel like using my good camera, kinda lazy to upload to pc, then to photobucket lol. It matches much better than my old amp. I will try to get a better pic sometime later. Got the speaker wires covered in braided sleeving and capped off with heat shrink on the ends. kinda see it on the bottom left of the pic.

14d51ab7.jpg

Anyways, thanks for everyone's input! now off to search and learn more about box design. that is one area i am really lacking.

-Jonathan

2000 Sonoma Extended cab 2.2L 5 Speed with Hurst short throw shifter, 3/4 Drop with 17s, Flowmaster original 40 series.

My Project thread

Archived