Sundown Audio

Why Rockford?

2nasty

RF has taken some flak this past decade, though they have always made strong, long lasting amps except for that little spat a few years back where their amps would overheat and burn out. Their subs and prefab stuff are too street boomy imo. But that is a seriously badazz amp though. I just don't like the look of their new amps and they don't use endcaps no more...i really miss endcaps, at least they were an option to use as apposed to no option.

I never understood the facisnation with their oldschool stuff. I still have my P45,P60 and P200 ix amps from the early 90's and they get hot, can shut down sometimes if played on hot days too long, have much easier tendancy for whine and plus all of them put out this constant "Hiss" type noise like the old cassette tapes used to if you listen, its really bad if you turn up the Treble on the amps or even gains. Turn on pop can also be an issue, no built in fuses, only 8 guage power size, most pain in the rear Xover selection i've ever seen (its a circuit board you have to manually take out and flip around), virutally lacking technology and convenience features many other brands back in the day had, but they did look nice....so anyone that says oldschool RF's are better either have nostalgic memories or are just ignorant from lack of side by side comparisons to almost any of todays amplifiers.

When i compared my RF 600.1bd amp to the old 200ix amp, both power output is similar and about same size, both sound the same except the newer one used half the energy and ran cooler. Main difference today is the Power series is what their old punch used to be quality/ratings wise. Back then their series 1 amps was their cheaper models

Archived