so i got this 1998 honda prelude. when i went to go buy it, the car smoked. guy said it needed new spark plug rings or gaskets (not sure what the proper name is) so we got work done on it by a mechanic. they changed the spark plug rings out, and also put all new rings in motor. when they was done with car, it smoked and gradually went down. now it smokes somewhat but is a constant smoke. they said its just oil that has built up in the manafold and exhuast since the prev owner drove it smoking for a good 4 months.

he said if i have any problems to bring it back but it was just oil built up in the exhuast and will eventually burn out. I have put 30 miles on the car since the change and have drove it as a daily driver would. im not sure if the rings just havent set yet or what. any take on this?

2 AQ 10'' HDC3 copper subs

1 3500d AQ amp

146.3db on TL with stock electrical in single cab truck at 32hz

RESULT: 1st place at comp, 3rd overall out of 20 cars

Spark plug rings? WTF LOL!

Spark plugs and rings are 2 completely different things.

My brothers old car smoked like a freight train and we could never figure out what was causing it.

Now what type of smoke is it? White,black a grayish color?

Pull the dipstick out and look at the color of the oil and see if it has like a milky look to it.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Spark plug rings? WTF LOL!

Spark plugs and rings are 2 completely different things.

My brothers old car smoked like a freight train and we could never figure out what was causing it.

Now what type of smoke is it? White,black a grayish color?

Pull the dipstick out and look at the color of the oil and see if it has like a milky look to it.

its the spark plug ring gaskets that they changed out, along with putting new rings on all pistons. the smoke looks to me like a whitish smoke, its not really dark and it can be really light at time and be somewhat more smokey at other times. its a constant smoke, it dont smoke more or less when you take off and gas it.

i had looked at the oil, and it looked fine (normal). I dropped car off to get a new oil change after all the work was done on the motor. and will pick it up later today

Edited by FiBTLforlife

1 3500d AQ amp

Oh ok dumb me I forgot what car I was trying to help on LOL! I understand the gasket deal now.

Any type of white smoke usually means there is water getting into somewhere it shouldn't.

Rest In Peace mother.

Oh ok dumb me I forgot what car I was trying to help on LOL! I understand the gasket deal now.

Any type of white smoke usually means there is water getting into somewhere it shouldn't.

yeah ive done about 5hrs of reading on internet today at work and thats what allot of people have said. It is a major job to fix that problem if its got water getting somewhere? im kinda so so on cars, im not an expert. im more towards bikes with that knowledge

1 3500d AQ amp

It can mean a cracked head to something simple as changing a head gasket.

im pretty sure its not a cracked head because my mechanic would of told me, most likely something could of happend to the gasket. but as for oil being all in the manafold and exhaust, do you think thats kina a bunch of BS or is that possible as well...i should take a vid of the smoke and post it

1 3500d AQ amp

sounds like a blown headgasket, easy and cheap fix though

apparently you dont get the fact that the subaru was wrapped around a pole. and by the status of your comment, im guessing your mouth is too.

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Civic EX

Exterior: 55w 5k Headlights and 35w 3k JDM Fogs. Lowered. Sittin on steelies right now

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate P450.4

Batteries: Kinetik HC 800

Electrical: Big 3 in 1/0

Enclosure: n/a : (

Headunit: Clarion VZ409

Mids/Highs: Pheonix Gold Rsd6.5's in the Front Doors

Subwoofers: n/a : (

Wire: Knukoncepts 1/0 and 4g

Future Upgrades: 20% tint all around, GC/Koni coilovers, body work (fml) lol

It can mean a cracked head to something simple as changing a head gasket.

im pretty sure its not a cracked head because my mechanic would of told me, most likely something could of happend to the gasket. but as for oil being all in the manafold and exhaust, do you think thats kina a bunch of BS or is that possible as well...i should take a vid of the smoke and post it

You think your mechanic would have told you. Sometimes they are not always truthful. The only way that the gasket could have really messed up is if old age or the previous owner got the car WAYYYY too hot and it messed it up. But if he got tooooo hot it could have cracked the head.

But try the head gasket first.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

sounds like a blown headgasket, easy and cheap fix though

would the head gasket get replaced though if you take motor apart to install new rings?

1 3500d AQ amp